Reassure me that the tank won't break my house..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alliel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel like such an idiot posting all these basic newbie/introductory threads, but .. I'm a newbie to fish and fishkeeping and don't appear to be very good at searching the forum.. :whistle:

I picked up some friends' old tank last night and brough it home. It needs a good clean before I put anything in it, but I'm a bit concerned about where to put it. It's much larger than I thought it would be - about 3 foot long, and will hold about 140L. I know that doesn't seem like much compared to many of the tanks and setups I see on here, but I put it (empty) on its stand on our floorboards and it just gave me chills. The stand has 4 legs rather than being a box/cupboard type stand, and I just have this horror that it's going to smash through the floorboards and be a disaster.

I was initially going to put it on the side bench in the kitchen and would still rather do this if it actaully fits there.. but is a bit of indirect sunlight ok? Not heaps, and not all the time, but just sometimes. I'd rather it be in this area because we spend much more time in this part of the house than the other room where it currently is, empty.

Would a 140L, 3 foot tank be ok on a ceaserstone benchtop? I figure the house holds up far more than that and the weight willl be distributed across the entire benchtop, which is distributed across the floor.

I plan on setting up a tropical tank with .. I don't know yet. Maybe some female betta or something, but I'm not sure. I haven't made any firm decisions. But I don't think that part of it is particularly relevant?

Thanks so much for any advice! Or reassurance!

Think of it like this, even when it is filled that only weighs as much as a big person. Same a football player sitting on a chair in your house. :)
I often fret about it as well, but houses are built for this. That is NOT a huge tank and really shouldn't be putting any excess stress on your floor.

Argh, thank you! You're right - it's not that huge and I'm sure it will be fine.. my husband has been making me paranoid!

Now I get to work out how to make it wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom