Recharging Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure if this is in the right thread, so if someone could move it into the correct place that'd be great, if needed.

Wondering what you all have found to be the best/easiest method for recharging purigen to be?
I know a lot of people just buy new, which is what I normally do, but now that I am a bit short on cash I'd like to try recharging it.

I have read up on it a bit online, but I'd rather ask you guys how you do it than believe what I read other places since there is a lot of false information out there.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread, so if someone could move it into the correct place that'd be great, if needed.

Wondering what you all have found to be the best/easiest method for recharging purigen to be?
I know a lot of people just buy new, which is what I normally do, but now that I am a bit short on cash I'd like to try recharging it.

I have read up on it a bit online, but I'd rather ask you guys how you do it than believe what I read other places since there is a lot of false information out there.

Thanks!

Follow the directions. :) If you lost them, they are on Seachem's site.

Basically a soak for 24 hrs in a 50/50 bleach water solution, then 8 hrs in a dechlorinator solution. Read the instructions for exact amounts and times.

To add...i have regenerated my Purigen several times with no loss in efficacy.

Thanks, I did lose the directions and didn't think to look on Seachem's site! I guess I had myself a little blonde moment lol

I was just worried about looking at some random website for their directions and having it be false and me killing off all my fish.

Purigen is great stuff, and recharging is straight forward like they posted above.
But, just for you :) , courtesty Seachem:

Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 1 L treats up to 4,000 L (1,000 gallons*) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Back
Top Bottom