Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

recomend a filter?

We are upgrading to a 180gal fish tank. Any suggestions for filters? So far our dream filter is an Eheim Thermofilter 2126 times 2 that is going for just over $500 before taxes each!

Old 11-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eheims are very nice reliable filters, but very pricey.
I've heard some bad things about the thermo-filters and the wet/drys though, some problems with the heaters and such. I would advise a standard model and regular heaters either in tank, inline or in sump.

For a lower $$$ the Penn Plax Cascades are supossed to be reliable and efficient, I will probably use this filter on my new tank.

But for a 180gal I'd like a nice wet/dry sump either by itself or working with a canister, if the wet/dry sump is large enough to just handle the system then the canister becomes the nice little extra filtration every tank needs and a emergency back-up.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand your confusion Sherrilee. There are just so many options for filtering today. I've based my decisions on ease of maintenance as Eheim, Fluval and Rena all produce very high quality products. One thing I can tell you is I dread openning the Eheim. Both Fluval and Rena make it much easier to get into, clean and restart your filter.

Whichever you decide, a sponge prefilter really helps in keeping your hoses and impeller in great working order. It's so much easier to rinse off a sponge every few days than openning those cannisters to clean.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

While the Eheim, Fluval, and Rena are great filters, so is the Cascade that Chile mentioned. I have three at the moment and am ordering two more for our new tank. We contemplated setting up a sump, but the complicatedness (not sure if thats a word) really turned us away from it. We're not really DIY people. But if you are pretty good with plumbing and the such, a sump is really the way to go. If not, I'd go with canisters. If you did choose the Cascade line, two 1200's would be efficient. But if you plan on keeping messy fish or have the money to upgrade to the next size, I'd go with two 1500's. They are very easy to maintain and have the nice handle to carry it with. Lets just say that I am mechanically challenged and I had no problems setting the filter up in 10 minutes and maintenance is a breeze. Opening the filters is as simple as popping up two handles and pulling out two handles. How much easier could it get?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank You

Thank you, all of your posts have been VERY helpfull!! I am going to do some more research.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had Fluval, Cascade, tetratech and Eheim.

I currently have a Tetratech (absolute copy of eheim) on my 25g and an eheim thermo on my 55g.

I used to have the cascade on my 55g.

I only have the thermo 7 months with no probs but my friend has 1 for two years with no probs.

I will never buy anything else for a large tank.JMO

Good luck!

LOL and I don't understand Brian being afraid to open an eheim I found it better than the cascade.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Ehiem thermo filters are not very reliable and the heating coil is known to go bad rather quickly. With a tank that size I would probably opt for the Ehiem Wet/Dry canister, the largest they make. Its rather expensive but from what I have read they are excellent filters and totally sealed unlike other wet/dry systems. I have an Ehiem pro II on my saltwater reef and it wasnt until I owned one of these filters that I fully understood why they cost so much, they are excellent.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You think the Cascade is difficult to open? Just pop out two handles and pull up. How much easier can it get?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com