Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to b.askew Send a message via Yahoo to b.askew
Recommend a protein skimmer

Can anybody recommend a protein skimmer for a 55 gallon SW tank? Right now using 1 inch live sand, live rock, no fishes in the tank. I have to Marineland 330 power filters on the back and 1 powerhead 550 for circulation.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aqua C Remora Pro. This is what I use and it's done a great job for me. It's a hard working skimmer, very easy to install, and runs quiet.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #3

What about somebody on a budget?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Many people hate the prizm protein skimmer, I happened to get the delux version on ebay for 90 bucks new and I am 90% satisfied, it is a little loud but at night i close the water flow a bit and it quiets down nicely.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went with a budget skimmer and didn't come out with a good skimmer (Redsea berlin airlift 60). I spent $40 on the skimmer and $20 for a good airpump to run it. The Aqua C is only about $165 and will come with a maxijet 1200 ph which you need anyway to help with circulation. The bakpak is also a good skimmer and only costs $130.

Don't go cheap. It's not worth it. I'm going to order the remora next week for my tank and throw away $60 worth of cheap skimmer.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
I like the seaclone skimmer.
The cheapest would be lee's in tank skimmer but they really do nothing. They are just a cheap little peice of plastic with an airstone.
THe seaclone is about 74 dollars,pretty cheap considering the others ones that ive seen go form 150 dollars up and they kinda still look cheap.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, I have been told to avoid the Skilter. It's a Filter/Skimmer in one. Those are quite inexpensive.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
skilters are junk too. They are mainly a cheap little filter with an added skimmer thats about as good as lee's. I would only recommend one for smaller tanks were you need all the room you can get and dont want to buy a 150 dollar one for that small of a tank.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the opinions and advice
Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

on a budget? www.amekaaquatics.com

Click on the link for CPR Factory Seconds. $104 gets you a brand new CPR bak-pak 2, which may or may not have cosmetic blemishes (scuffs or scratches in the acrylic).

Mine came flawless. Not a bad way to save $60.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com