Recommend a quiet filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jts15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
This is my first post and I know nothing about aquariums. I recently bought a house and the owner did not want to take the 55 gallon freshwater tank with 12 fish out. My wife lit up at the news so it stayed with the house.
It has a filter that hangs over the edge of the tank. There is a tube that drops down into the tank and a "tub" with the filter media hangs over the edge on the outside. The problem is that the noise it makes is driving me nuts:shocked!:. I accidently shut the power off and couldn't believe how quiet the room got. I tried to see if it is just vibrating against the glass but it just seems like the filter is making the noise itself.
I tried searching the forum and internet but got overwhelmed with information quickly so I was wondering if some folks could shoot me some suggestions as to what my options are.

Getting something quiet is very important. The tank sits on a cabinet so it could go in there. Also, cost is an issue, I don't want to break the bank if possible. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you folks can provide.

Those hang off the tankers usually are very quiet... if its making noise the impeller is probably shot and rattling.
if its a nice big one thats in good shape, you can buy a new impeller for it.

or sell it... what kind is it and how much do ya want for it?
:p

Back
Top Bottom