Recommend Me a 55-Gallon (48") Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm buying a 55-gallon (48") aquarium, so I'll need a stand. Someone, please recommend me a solid stand for this size tank.

Requirements:
- I'd like it to have one, large interior space for housing the canister filter and other accessories. Two cabinet doors.
- It'd be nice if the stand had a matching canopy available, but I could live without a canopy if the stand was nice enough.
- Sturdy construction, and I'm willing to pay for that quality.
- Darker color woods are preferred, but not absolutely necessary.

If your relatively handy, you can make one yourself of great quality for a fraction of a "cheap" stand. There's lots of videos on YouTube if that's something you'd want to do...

FishyBusiness said:
If your relatively handy, you can make one yourself of great quality for a fraction of a "cheap" stand. There's lots of videos on YouTube if that's something you'd want to do...

New requirement:
- Stand must be commercially available. I'm fine if the stand requires some assembly from a kit, but I'm not building one from scratch.

Aqueon makes nice tanks and nice stands for their tanks. Aqueon Aquariums

They are available at almost all fish retailers and small fish stores. You should be able to eventually find a 55 set up from Aqueon on sale for under $200 with tank, top, light and stand on sale.

I just bought a new one for $199, on sale this summer.

Aqueon is based in WI and I know they sell them in Michigan for sure.

hpiguy said:
Aqueon makes nice tanks and nice stands for their tanks. Aqueon Aquariums

They are available at almost all fish retailers and small fish stores. You should be able to eventually find a 55 set up from Aqueon on sale for under $200 with tank, top, light and stand on sale.

I just bought a new one for $199, on sale this summer.

Aqueon is based in WI and I know they sell them in Michigan for sure.

I'd love an Aqueon stand, but I was under the impression that they don't sell one for a 55-gallon with one, unified cabinet interior. If I'm wrong, could you please link me to one that'd work for me?

I'd love an Aqueon stand, but I was under the impression that they don't sell one for a 55-gallon with one, unified cabinet interior. If I'm wrong, could you please link me to one that'd work for me?

Look under the furniture section of their site.

They have enclosed cabinets with more than enough room for a canister on a 55.

hpiguy said:
Look under the furniture section of their site.

They have enclosed cabinets with more than enough room for a canister on a 55.

The only style of stand that seems to accommodate 55-gallon aquariums (there's a bunch for bigger or smaller tanks... is 55 an oddball size?) is the Classic Pine series.

From the picture, that one looks way too thin in the depth direction to fit a larger canister filter. Heck, it looks like that stand runs the risk of being top-heavy and tipping over!

I'd recommend making sure a 75g tank could also fit on it. My biggest regret on my second 55g is I can never upgrade with that stand. The added width of the stand allows you to keep food and whatever else next to the tank.

The only style of stand that seems to accommodate 55-gallon aquariums (there's a bunch for bigger or smaller tanks... is 55 an oddball size?) is the Classic Pine series.

From the picture, that one looks way too thin in the depth direction to fit a larger canister filter. Heck, it looks like that stand runs the risk of being top-heavy and tipping over!

The stands are sized for the 55s they sell. Most 55s made by most aquarium companies are 12x48 and the stands are 12 or 14 inches wide depending on style. 55s in those dimensions are one of the most common tanks sold.

The inside of the cabinet will easily fit any appropriate sized canister made or even two for that sized tank and will also hold all your supplies.

I've owned them for years, no issues. If you manage to tip over a 55 on it's stand, then you're doing something wrong.

Good luck in your search for a really deep 55 stand. You'll probably have to make one. :)

I use an aqueon classic pine stand for my 90g. They are built well and PLENTY of room under. They didn't have black available so I sanded, primed and painted my stand black, put on new hinges and knobs (to match my others because im real picky on details). It's all open under the cabinet however I built a shelf on one side to store more opposite my canister. It doesn't wobble whatsoever. I have no concern of it tipping given I have 3 cats that think my cichlids are dinner and 2 toddlers. Besides, if u buy it from a LFS and you decide shortly after you don't like it you should be able to return it.

Back
Top Bottom