Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrzap
Recommend me a canister filter?

I want to add some extra filtration on my 29 gal. It is on an aquarium stand with a cabinet under it for hiding this type of thing.

What model would you say is the quietest to operate and has a powerful enough pump to handle the backflow if my canister filter is going to be on the floor under the aquarium (water has to travel vertically about 5 feet).

Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, that depends on how much money you want to spend. You could go with the Eheim 2213 (extra filtration, so do not use with fish that do not like current, Rena Filstar XP1, Fluval 204, or Cascade 500

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrzap
I think I'll try the fluval 204 although the cascade looks like it has some neat features as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Fluval 304 and you really don't hear it! It's a little tricky to open, but that's the way it is with most canister filter.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recently bought a Fluval 204 for my 20 gallon tank, and a Rena Filstar XP1 for my 29 gallon tank, and so far I really like them both. The Fluval was much harder to set up initially than the Filstar, but once you see how it works it's not difficult.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you wanna go cheap, I've been running the Odyssea CFS4 for about 6 months now, and I love it. They are real cheap on Ebay, and it has all the convenience of a pricey canister. BUUUUUUUT, talk to me in 2 years when all the RENA and EHEIM folks are still happy

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
I personally use the magnum line, I have both the hot 250 and the 350, love both of them actually. The 250 is a little louder than I like when I change the media, but it quiets back down in about 10 minutes.

Sold all tanks but
29 gal planted(lightly) tank now with 10 neons, 9 serpae tetras, 4 otos, 2 kribs and 3 gourami for the moment.
LAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I put a Filstar xP1 on my 30 gallon tank three or four months ago. It is easy to set up, very quiet and very effective. I found a good deal at www.drsfostersmith.com and got it for just $52.49.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have three Cascade filters (2x1000, 1200) and have found them very easy to use. They are simple to setup (took me less than 15 minutes), easy to take apart (lift two pieces and pull out two pieces PLUS they have a carrying handle), silent, and the input/output tubes are easy to hide since they are black. I highly recommend this line of filters, but they are all good. You just have to find your favorite.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I dont understand the diffuculty.. all of my canisters are too old to be "easy" to use and once you get the hang of them there all simple IMHO..
how much flow you want and noise are the considerations for me..
eheim's are dead scielent..
fluvals are close..
the rena's Ive heard good things about.. but no practical experiance..
rena's have high flow rates and fluvals are just short of them..
so rena and fluval are my top picks.. fluval being the one I have LONG term suscess (over 15 years and still running great) with.. so I would likely get another (when the new 500 series comes out maybe LOL)

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com