recommendation for air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tetra whisper is going out, very loud, I have 2 filters on the tank (55 gallon), an aquaclear 110 and an aquaclear 70, I know air pumps aren't a must have but I do like the extra agitation, I was looking at another tetra but for my size tank the one I had was for a 40 gallon the other one I was looking at is for up to 150, then I saw the fluval q2 but just curious as if anyone else has any other recommendations.

Hello Pot...

The filters you have provide enough surface movement already. If you also change out most of the tank water every few days, this adds more oxygen to the tank water. However, if you still want a good air pump, then look at Active Aqua. These are larger, higher end pumps.

B

For a simple pump for a single tank I like the Fusion pumps. They are cheap and quiet.

I've been thinking about setting up some new tanks with sponge filters so I've been trying to research air pumps. In my wanderings I think what I've tentatively settled on is a Fluval Q series, but I'm commenting here so I can follow along to see what others think.

Hello Pot...

The filters you have provide enough surface movement already. If you also change out most of the tank water every few days, this adds more oxygen to the tank water. However, if you still want a good air pump, then look at Active Aqua. These are larger, higher end pumps.

B
I do 30% a week, i did see those on amazon but they look ultra strong like professional models to run multiple sponge filters, I just run 2 4"disc air stone wouldn't that be too much for a couple air stones

I've been thinking about setting up some new tanks with sponge filters so I've been trying to research air pumps. In my wanderings I think what I've tentatively settled on is a Fluval Q series, but I'm commenting here so I can follow along to see what others think.

How many sponges? If you are going to be running a bunch of them you are better off getting a single high quality pump and using a pvc loop or a manifold.

How many sponges? If you are going to be running a bunch of them you are better off getting a single high quality pump and using a pvc loop or a manifold.

It'd only be for either 3x10 gallon tanks or 1x40 breeder (like I said, still in the planning stages here). It seems like that would mean a normal "consumer grade" pump would be fine, but it's kinda hard to compare things when every other review is "it's too loud!" and then "was great, the quietest pump I've ever used!" :banghead:

No sponges I have 2 aquaclear hob's a 110 and a 70 on a 55 gallon tank, I'm just running air stones

No sponges I have 2 aquaclear hob's a 110 and a 70 on a 55 gallon tank, I'm just running air stones

Sorry, two things going on at once. You would definitely be fine with a small standard air pump. Take a look at these

Sorry, two things going on at once. You would definitely be fine with a small standard air pump. Take a look at these
I had a fusion before, didn't last very long maybe a few months, did they start making better products this was 5 years ago

My .02

The best bang for the buck is the Fluval Q pumps, I highly recommend them.
I have a Q1 and a Q2 and both are very quiet, powerful and rebuildable with a inexpensive parts kit when the time comes. My Q1 is 2yrs old and still works like a champion.

My .02

The best bang for the buck is the Fluval Q pumps, I highly recommend them.
I have a Q1 and a Q2 and both are very quiet, powerful and rebuildable with a inexpensive parts kit when the time comes. My Q1 is 2yrs old and still works like a champion.
Yeah that's what I ordered I should have added that, it wasn't too bad in price but you get what you pay for the tetra is 7 bucks but the q2 was 23

You will not regret your purchase.
With my Q1 I hooked each outlet hose to a dual inlet 5 way gang valve and it's powering x2-20L RCS tanks and x3-10G guppy breeding tanks with sponge filters, no lack of bubbles in any of them. (y)

Back
Top Bottom