red sea prism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
can any one tell me if a red sea prism skimmer is any good,its my first time using one. nobody else seems to use one. R they crap

100g fish only at moment, will be a reef in the near future when i get my phosphate levels to zero. can you recommend any good ones. thanks

I would recommend an Octo NW200 for your tank. IMO, you will not find a better skimmer for that price.

FWIW, a skimmer won't really help much with phosphate issues. To get your phosphate under control, try to avoid feeding alot of flake and pellet food, rinse any frozen before you feed, use RO/DI water for top-offs and water changes and finally run GFO (granular ferric oxide), preferably in a reactor.

thanks for the advice, i do use RO water, brought a RO unit about 4 weeks ago. will check the water for PO4 just to be safe. iam going to start doing PWC weekly instead of of every 2 weeks. 45 litres a week. also will cut the feeding to once a day.

I would recommend an Octo NW200 for your tank. IMO, you will not find a better skimmer for that price.
Have you thought about being a representative for the Octo skimmer company? LOL

thanks for the advice, i do use RO water, brought a RO unit about 4 weeks ago..
is it just RO or RO/DI the RO purifys the water to about 98% and the DI cartridge will purify to 100% usually

Have you thought about being a representative for the Octo skimmer company? LOL
:cool: If I can only get them to send me a few skimmers to "test".

Actually, I've used a few different skimmers and I've wasted my money on some of them. I also did alot of research, maybe a little too much...lol, on skimmers performance and I think I have a pretty good understanding on what makes a good skimmer.

If someone has a skimmer question and I feel I can give them advice that will save them money plus get them a better skimmer for their dollar, I'll do it. I can say, from hands on experience, you will be hard pressed to find a skimmer, in the price range of the Octo, that performs like the Octo.

I have to agree with cccapt on this one. The octo skimmers are designed similar to that of the Euro-Reef, ASM and Deltec series skimmers. They work very well for a lot less money.

For a 100g tank I don't see the Red Sea Prism doing the job for you especially if you are planning on going reef soon.

Back
Top Bottom