Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Red Sea Protein Skimmer Over-skimming

I have a Red Sea Max C130. My protein skimmer used to skim correctly, but after cleaning the sump and adding a ATO system it has been over-skimming. The water level is at the optimum water level line on the side of the tank and the skim adjuster is at its lowest position. What should I do?

Old 09-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.
Would u use the air valve and just tone it down till it is able to skim regularly without it? Or should I just let it overflow into the skimmer cup a few times and empty it? I also notice it starts over skimming when I turn off the return pump and the water level rises. Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.
What does the topping off of freshwater do to the protein skimmer? Is that something I need to fix and could this be the problem?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation
Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation
And over time will is start to not need the air valve? When I turn off the return pump I turn the protein skimmer off because the water level goes up, but then once I turn the pump on again and I let the water level settle again the protein skimmer still goes crazy. I don't understand why it is going crazy....
Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

The protein skimmer overflows when I have the air valve on. It either has no bubbles going through it or it has water overflowing the opening with little micro bubbles. Please help!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.
I believe I did, is there a way I can tell that is what happened without having to take the whole skimmer out again? And does the protein skimmer have to be running for that bacteria to grow?

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, red, rot, sea, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com