Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
Red Sea Protein Skimmer Over-skimming

I have a Red Sea Max C130. My protein skimmer used to skim correctly, but after cleaning the sump and adding a ATO system it has been over-skimming. The water level is at the optimum water level line on the side of the tank and the skim adjuster is at its lowest position. What should I do?
__________________

__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,551
Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.
__________________

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.
Would u use the air valve and just tone it down till it is able to skim regularly without it? Or should I just let it overflow into the skimmer cup a few times and empty it? I also notice it starts over skimming when I turn off the return pump and the water level rises. Could that have anything to do with it?
__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,551
Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.
What does the topping off of freshwater do to the protein skimmer? Is that something I need to fix and could this be the problem?
__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,542
if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation
And over time will is start to not need the air valve? When I turn off the return pump I turn the protein skimmer off because the water level goes up, but then once I turn the pump on again and I let the water level settle again the protein skimmer still goes crazy. I don't understand why it is going crazy....
__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
The protein skimmer overflows when I have the air valve on. It either has no bubbles going through it or it has water overflowing the opening with little micro bubbles. Please help!
__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Reefing Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 577
What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.
__________________
Reefing Madness Tank Pics
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.
I believe I did, is there a way I can tell that is what happened without having to take the whole skimmer out again? And does the protein skimmer have to be running for that bacteria to grow?
__________________

__________________
Nolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, red, rot, sea, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
protein skimmer not skimming BeGiNeR_7 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 10 01-20-2006 08:51 AM
Anyone using a Red Sea Berlin Turbo protein skimmer ? nelson4u Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 0 01-30-2004 06:03 AM
Red Sea Prizm protein skimmer Smonkey15 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 11-17-2003 10:18 AM
How to adjust red sea protein skimmer ? bizzybeas Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 4 08-25-2003 01:22 AM
Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe Protein Skimmer Hara Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 01-30-2003 11:10 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.