Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Richie Send a message via Yahoo to Richie
redesigned penguin experiences?

I've been checking out the new penguin filters and was wondering if any one has any experiences with them. I currently have a 20gal w/ a Emperor 280. I have to dismantle the filter about once a week, if I don't the propeller starts to make a grinding sound when I shut the flow down for feeding. It really is an annoyance I was like to get away from. I like the bio wheels but I've heard the original penguins were horribly noisy. So I was wondering if they fixed that with the redesign?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Old 01-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Richie Send a message via Yahoo to Richie
anyone?

Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Penguin 330 and haven't had any problems with it, but I've only had it for about 6 weeks. It's pretty quiet and I haven't had to mess with the filter yet.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
I've had my penguin 170 for 8 weeks with no problems except hair occassionally gets caught in the impeller and slows it down dramatically
Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't seen the new penguins in stores yet but they look cool
- 30-40 Zebra Danios
- 7 Orange Von Rio Tetras
- 3 Otos
- 1 Bamboo Shrimp

20 Gallon Menagerie
- 4 German Blue Rams (2 Males, 2 Females)
- 1 Dwarf Puffer
- 1 Clown Pleco
- 1 Candy Stripe Goby

5 Gallon Eclipse
- 1 Female Betta
- 2 Otos
- 1 Ghost Shrimp
Maillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Look for snails inside of your filter. I had about 50 MTS inmy penguin 170 and it made the same noise that you are describing. just clean out the impeller well every now and then.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I'd also like to know how well these work.
I have two 330's and they have worked perfect for the last few years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I run two Emperor 400s on my 55 Gallon African tank and the only problem I ever had was when I was cleaning the intake grill it sucked up a beautiful albino. Jef
Old 01-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Here is a quote directly from Marinland about their new filters:

Quote:
A larger BIO-wheel means more area for nitrifying bacteria to grow, keeping your aquarium totally free of harmful ammonia and nitrites! Increased flow rates maintain optimum water circulation and insure proper BIO-wheel rotation. Adjustable mid-level intake strainer allows you to take water from mid-tank for complete circulation. The all-new cover design and sealed motor dramatically reduces water noise while still maintaining optimum oxygenation. All models still use the handy Rite-Size filtration media cartridges so changing the filter is a snap! The Penguin 200 and 350 now have refillable media cartridges available as accessories so you can customize your filtration choices along with the Rite-Size cartridges. For complete, easy filtration of your aquarium, nothing works like a Penguin! 3 year performance warranty
Based on everything above, I would not hesitate at all to purchase the new penguins. I may even end up switching over in a few months as they sound great!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Re: redesigned penguin experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
I've been checking out the new penguin filters and was wondering if any one has any experiences with them. I currently have a 20gal w/ a Emperor 280. I have to dismantle the filter about once a week, if I don't the propeller starts to make a grinding sound when I shut the flow down for feeding. It really is an annoyance I was like to get away from. I like the bio wheels but I've heard the original penguins were horribly noisy. So I was wondering if they fixed that with the redesign?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx
I have a 280 and have let it go for 3 months and have never had a grinding noise. Is your impeller damaged?

Tags
penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com