redesigned penguin experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been checking out the new penguin filters and was wondering if any one has any experiences with them. I currently have a 20gal w/ a Emperor 280. I have to dismantle the filter about once a week, if I don't the propeller starts to make a grinding sound when I shut the flow down for feeding. It really is an annoyance I was like to get away from. I like the bio wheels but I've heard the original penguins were horribly noisy. So I was wondering if they fixed that with the redesign?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...ters/T1/F28+0221+0364/EDP/45882/Itemdy00.aspx

I have a Penguin 330 and haven't had any problems with it, but I've only had it for about 6 weeks. It's pretty quiet and I haven't had to mess with the filter yet.

I've had my penguin 170 for 8 weeks with no problems except hair occassionally gets caught in the impeller and slows it down dramatically

Look for snails inside of your filter. I had about 50 MTS inmy penguin 170 and it made the same noise that you are describing. just clean out the impeller well every now and then.

I'd also like to know how well these work.
I have two 330's and they have worked perfect for the last few years.

I run two Emperor 400s on my 55 Gallon African tank and the only problem I ever had was when I was cleaning the intake grill it sucked up a beautiful albino. Jef

Here is a quote directly from Marinland about their new filters:

A larger BIO-wheel means more area for nitrifying bacteria to grow, keeping your aquarium totally free of harmful ammonia and nitrites! Increased flow rates maintain optimum water circulation and insure proper BIO-wheel rotation. Adjustable mid-level intake strainer allows you to take water from mid-tank for complete circulation. The all-new cover design and sealed motor dramatically reduces water noise while still maintaining optimum oxygenation. All models still use the handy Rite-Size filtration media cartridges so changing the filter is a snap! The Penguin 200 and 350 now have refillable media cartridges available as accessories so you can customize your filtration choices along with the Rite-Size cartridges. For complete, easy filtration of your aquarium, nothing works like a Penguin! 3 year performance warranty

Based on everything above, I would not hesitate at all to purchase the new penguins. I may even end up switching over in a few months as they sound great!

Richie said:
I've been checking out the new penguin filters and was wondering if any one has any experiences with them. I currently have a 20gal w/ a Emperor 280. I have to dismantle the filter about once a week, if I don't the propeller starts to make a grinding sound when I shut the flow down for feeding. It really is an annoyance I was like to get away from. I like the bio wheels but I've heard the original penguins were horribly noisy. So I was wondering if they fixed that with the redesign?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...ters/T1/F28+0221+0364/EDP/45882/Itemdy00.aspx

I have a 280 and have let it go for 3 months and have never had a grinding noise. Is your impeller damaged?

I just bought my first Penguin bio-wheel about 2 weeks ago. I bought a Penguin Bio-wheel 170 for my 55g FW tank. The other filter is a Whisper 30 that I plan to replace when I use up my remaining filter cartridges that I bought without thinking (again) LOL.
However, for the other side of my tank with the Whisper, Ive been sold on the Emperor- the new redesigned one. Consider it done (well at least when my Whisper filter cartridges are depleted which might take a while!)
The bio-wheel I bought two weeks ago seems to be working great, and my water is clearer than usual so I credit it to the penguin. Ive never had a bio-wheel and its kinda neat to see it move (slow and choppy now) and hear the water sound. Doesnt bug me... I have a canopy on the top of my tank and it deadens some sound it seems.

That was my first thought, so I replaced. Then new still did after about a week. I love the filter and it works great as long as I keep it cleaned. It doesn't grind non stop, it's only when I put the flow control down for feeding after about five minutes it starts grinding. I guess some would think of it as a good thing as a kind of reminder to turn it back up after they ate.

Back
Top Bottom