Redox + for Cyano Algae control ????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imustbenuts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to try and add a picture this is my first attempt. I hope it works!

The algae starts off kind of slimy and has a lot of air bubbles on it and in it. Then it darkens and becomes thick. I have hermit crabs, and several types of snails (4 conch, 12 that bury themselves under the sand, and others I'm not sure what they are) they don't seem to eat though.

Attachments

• algae1_126.jpg
    algae1_126.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 161
  • algae3_122.jpg
    algae3_122.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 145
Cyanobacteria can become thick if left sitting to long. It will become spongy and even have sponge growth underneath and peel up in thick sheets. In picture one and three, is the algae growing on a coral skeleton?

Do a search on cyno bacteria, cyno or red slime on the site there is tons of info.

Water quality, lighting and low flow all help in the growth of cnyo.

To start your water needs to be tested for phosphate and your top off water. What kind of water are you using..

check the site for more info and post test results.

seaham358 Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do a search on cyno bacteria, cyno or red slime on the site there is tons of info.

Water quality, lighting and low flow all help in the growth of cnyo.

To start your water needs to be tested for phosphate and your top off water. What kind of water are you using..

check the site for more info and post test results.

Fluff Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyanobacteria can become thick if left sitting to long. It will become spongy and even have sponge growth underneath and peel up in thick sheets. In picture one and three, is the algae growing on a coral skeleton?

Fluff

Yes, the algae is growing on a coral skeleton. When I purchased my live rock it was on it.

Seaham

I am using DI water from the LFS. I don't know if I have a tester for phosphates. If not, I will pick one up and post later. I have a new light purchased on-line. It is a dual 65 watt 10000k/8000k and 460/440 I think??????? We were probably over feeding and running the lights too long. I will read the articles and post questions

If anyone else has suggestions to stop the growth please reply.

So I have taken your advice and done some research. In an article I read it talks about redox + said it will reduce the DOC/DOX load in the tank. Anyone ever use it for cyano algae? What problems have been experienced with it?

The only thing I have ever used as a supplement/med to get rid of Cyano was Chemi-Clean... 1 use and the stuff disappeared....Almost like magic...

2 years now and have seen no ill effects from using it..

You must certainly might be overfeeding. Try picking the most you can and make a big PWC maybe 50%. Check on your skimmer a good efficient skimmer should be a good course of action. If you keep you lighting photoperiod to a 12-14 hrs a day, then it should be OK. IME lighting affects more on hair algae growth. When feeding frozen foods try soaking/rinsing them in fresh RO/DI water for some time before feeding it so that the PO4s can leach into this water and not your tank. There is more info on the site you can search...
HTH

Forgot to add that if you will try and use ozone to increase your redox potential you must have a meter and document yourself very well on ozone usage. Unless you are an advanced aquarist I would suggest 10% weekly water changes to keep your Redox in place...

have you tested the water yet? if so what are the numbers.. Testing is the first place to start before doing anything else, this way you know exactly what your dealing with. Is the issue the tank only, tap water, ro/di water. A phosban reactor is also another good way to help with PO4 issues.

I had cyano two months ago and used chemi-clean. It worked like a charm, but I again have cyano. My phosphates are down to .5 and nitrates are at 20, still the bacteria. I'm thinking I need to increase flow in the area it seems to like to grow in, it's the same as last time. I would definately get the problem fixed so you don't keep getting it, as opposed to relying on a quick fix, and be in the situation I'm in now.

here is a great product works for me
its call red slime remover, just dose the right amount
and u be able to get rid of it in no time. once again works great for me

Back
Top Bottom