RedSeaMAX owners! Your help is needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! Anyone know how to get my skimmer skimming in my rsm? Tank has been up for 2+ months and it is pretty stocked with fish and coral. It was doig an OK job, then i emptied the cup a couple weeks ago and hasnt been skimming so great! I checked today and didnt have any skim...i loosened the air valve but idk. Not much is happening!

My trates are good if anyone was wondering. 0-5 last time i checked. Is that why i have no skim?

Help!

Have you cleaned the inner part of the cup for any blockage or crud on the walls

Mrc8858 said:
Have you cleaned the inner part of the cup for any blockage or crud on the walls

Hey thanks fpr your help! Do you have a RSM?

Uhmm..like the neck? I will check. I havent though..would it build up in 2+ months?

I dont have one (envy those that do lol) but I do have skimmer issues and its usually either the air line or the neck/cone

Mrc8858 said:
I dont have one (envy those that do lol) but I do have skimmer issues and its usually either the air line or the neck/cone

Hmm..just checked. No go;/ i loosened the airline all the way!!

I've had times when my skimmer seemed to not be able to produce "sticky" skimmate to rise up with but that usually only lasted a day maybe 2 and I contribute that to clean water from just doing WCs.. does your skimmer seem to be working fine other then the fact it won't rise high enough?

Mrc8858 said:
I've had times when my skimmer seemed to not be able to produce "sticky" skimmate to rise up with but that usually only lasted a day maybe 2 and I contribute that to clean water from just doing WCs.. does your skimmer seem to be working fine other then the fact it won't rise high enough?

I dont really know how i would know if it is working fine..i mean..it is making noise! Haha. But i think it is! I am really worried that a tube or somthing was unplugged way down there and ill have to take the whole thing out!!

See this is where you need someone that's had a red sea max then lol I'm guessing your skimmer isn't quite the same as everyone elses hobs or in Sumps ?

Mrc8858 said:
See this is where you need someone that's had a red sea max then lol I'm guessing your skimmer isn't quite the same as everyone elses hobs or in Sumps ?

No..it is in the back compartment of the tank! Lol weird..

Well I'm stumped lol hope another rsm owner finds this thread... Have you check if they have a number to call or a website/email?

Try setting the skim to get a wetter skim. Move it higher you get dryer skim, lower you get wetter skim. My nitrates are lower and still have gunk come out of the water. A skimmer skims out the microscopic material and helps reduce your nitrate levels and fish waste that woulda turned into ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. If your nitrates are that low, don't worry so much. Your aquarium is probably understocked so you don't get much skim

Mrc8858 said:
Well I'm stumped lol hope another rsm owner finds this thread... Have you check if they have a number to call or a website/email?

Thanks anyways man:) i will check it out!

Any owners out there???

Gboy66 said:
Thanks anyways man:) i will check it out!

Any owners out there???

Hey Gboy not sure if this will help but I have the same issues with my BC29. My skimmer(Tunze9002) is in the back chamber(2) and sometimes it skims well and other times it doesn't. Sometimes gunk builds up on the cone coming into the cup and it's easier the the skim to raise up and bubble into the cup. Other times it just seems the water is too clean. Of your getting bubbles and you can hear it I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine does that all the time. Some days it's a dry skim other days a wet skim. I attribute this to water changes and clean water.

Not sure if this helps you or not but wanted you to know your not alone.

Good luck.

Convict2161 said:
Hey Gboy not sure if this will help but I have the same issues with my BC29. My skimmer(Tunze9002) is in the back chamber(2) and sometimes it skims well and other times it doesn't. Sometimes gunk builds up on the cone coming into the cup and it's easier the the skim to raise up and bubble into the cup. Other times it just seems the water is too clean. Of your getting bubbles and you can hear it I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine does that all the time. Some days it's a dry skim other days a wet skim. I attribute this to water changes and clean water.

Not sure if this helps you or not but wanted you to know your not alone.

Good luck.

Interesting how it goes on and off..thanks con!

Back
Top Bottom