reducing filter current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 15 gallon tank with a figure eight puffer fish it has plants and it also has sand and the filter keeps moving the sand and making it uneven i want the filter to have a weak current instead of a strong any tips on how i can reduce the current it would be greatly appreciated :fish2:

Keep the water level higher. High to the point where the mouth of the outflow area touches the water. This will prevent the sand from moving around.

A couple of solutions in case raising the water level does not work:

Reducing the flow by diverting it with a plastic water bottle...

Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare

Build a lip extension...

Here are some pics for the lip extension for the AC50 ( though it can be applied to most any HOB). You'll need sturdy scissors, pliers, and optionally some form of heat (hot water or a hair dryer). Most LFS sell the plastic strip separately in the lighting supply section. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. You cut the strip to the width of the HOB spillway. You want to make two bends (the heat helps make the plastic more pliable):
#1. Bend the section of the strip that has the part that grips the glass hood downward about 45 degrees
#2. Bend the strip lengthwise along the middle about 45 degrees upward
Next, use pliers to pinch the part that grips the glass hood in one or two areas. Do not apply too much force. This will allow the lip extension to grip the HOB spillway and not fall into your tank.
You will have to adjust the bends and see what works best with your water level.

Attachments

• image-1331033912.jpg
    image-1331033912.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 192
  • image-1922434045.jpg
    image-1922434045.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 237
  • image-1672981248.jpg
    image-1672981248.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 210
You can create a baffle out of a water bottle like I did for my African dwarf frog tank

Just look up water bottle baffle for aquarium it works perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom