Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I bought bead foam (the white stuff) today and a stainless steel water heater flex line to try. I'll post results in a while.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

WOW!!! This did it. Man, it's almost silent. Rock on.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I should just stuff some mouse pads in My wife's grand Prix and hook a flex pipe up to the muffler.

kools man glad you got it quieted down!
Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm using a Mag 7 to circulate the water from the tank to the sump and it's sitting in the sump. When I first put it into the sump, there was some vibration, but I just moved it around and found a "sweet spot" and it's totally silent now. I also have a Mag 5 in there that drives my UV, which is also totally silent.

If you just put it into the sump and haven't tried shifting it around, do that before you take any other measures. If it doesn't work, foam like they use in an Aquaclear filter most likely will stop the vibration. I got the Mag because I started with a Rio HF and the only way to stop that from making a really nasty noise was to just get rid of it.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi
I'm using a Mag 7 to circulate the water from the tank to the sump and it's sitting in the sump. When I first put it into the sump, there was some vibration, but I just moved it around and found a "sweet spot" and it's totally silent now. I also have a Mag 5 in there that drives my UV, which is also totally silent.

If you just put it into the sump and haven't tried shifting it around, do that before you take any other measures. If it doesn't work, foam like they use in an Aquaclear filter most likely will stop the vibration. I got the Mag because I started with a Rio HF and the only way to stop that from making a really nasty noise was to just get rid of it.
Mag 36 vibrates period. I could hear it upstairs.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont know much about much about pumps, but are Mags generally loud?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #17
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my experience...which is having them for many years...and I have three going right now in one room...two on my reef and one on my planted tank...in a room where my lovely wife watches television, I can say that they are utterly, and I mean utterly silent. I've never had a "Mag 36" but I can tell you that the Mag 5's and Mag 7's make absolutely no noise on my tanks.

By the way, the two Mag's that I have on my reef are in the sump, and the one that I have on the planted tank is running the circulation for my pressurized CO2 unit and is mounted to the bottom of the aquarium stand with screws.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Mag 7 = 700gph
Mag 36 = 3600 gph = 1 gal/sec

My Mag 9.5 was quieter, but this is the biggest pump I've seen out there that is in sump.

Tags
noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com