Reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm finding the lighting a little confusing as far as how much I'll need in a 55 gallon tank that is almost 20" deep. I have been looking everywhere for LED's that'll mount on top of my tank. I want the tank to be able to have enough lighting that I won't be limited as to what I can keep. I have looked at a unit that has 48 white 10,000K LED's, 8 Blue 460nM LED's, 75 total watts, & 3340 lumens. I really don't know what numbers I need to be looking at. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

kittann said:
I'm finding the lighting a little confusing as far as how much I'll need in a 55 gallon tank that is almost 20" deep. I have been looking everywhere for LED's that'll mount on top of my tank. I want the tank to be able to have enough lighting that I won't be limited as to what I can keep. I have looked at a unit that has 48 white 10,000K LED's, 8 Blue 460nM LED's, 75 total watts, & 3340 lumens. I really don't know what numbers I need to be looking at. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I have a lot of experience with LEDs on the reef tank, and there is only brand which I would buy after all is said and done. Aquaillumination Sol. They are the most expensive, but the only ones I've personally watched very high light demanding sps flourish under (with amazing color). Most other LEDs will grow sps, they just turn brown or very light brown. Spend the money and do it right the first time, and you won't be spending double the money. Also, stay away from any light fixture which has many lower watt LEDs packed close together. Those fixtures that have lower watt LEDs (probably 1 watt), don't transfer intensity through the water well. Go with a fixture with fewer high power LEDs (2.5 - 3 watt each), with optics if possible, and the light energy with blast through the water. In fact, most of these high watt led units have to be turned down to keep from bleaching sps. Having said all this, if you don't plan on keeping sps, I would still go with the ai sol's. There's nothing like being able to control your lighting intensity, color and showing off lighting storms to on lookers. I'm just about to get my 3 sol super blues fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom