Reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I got a good craigslist trade, 70 gallon acrylic 4 ft stretched octagon tank with stand and canopy. It came with a coralife ballast for 2 65 watt power compact lights. I am planning on getting new bulbs one 10k and one blue. Could I add anything to it to make it reef comparable. I want to use canopy so it would need to fit. Also would lights get too hot and damage acrylic?

Lindsay
image-2468475685.jpg

image-1394181373.jpg

image-1765885470.jpg

image-1848906534.jpg

You could really mount a variety of light to that canopy. LEDs, metal halides it all depends on what your trying to accomplish as far what kind of corals you wanna keep.

Well I wanted to use what I have and add something else to try to keep cost down. Would those lights alone produce enough light for mushrooms, polyps or softies. I would like to be able to do others too that's why I was hoping I could add something and still stay in budget. What are some low budget ideas? Thanks.

Lindsay

Lindsay1718 said:
Well I wanted to use what I have and add something else to try to keep cost down. Would those lights alone produce enough light for mushrooms, polyps or softies. I would like to be able to do others too that's why I was hoping I could add something and still stay in budget. What are some low budget ideas? Thanks.

Lindsay

You can do soft corals,mushrooms, Xenia,leathers,zoas,GSP. You can always add some LED strips like ecoxotic LEDs.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-marine-led-system.html

That's a very serviceable light setup for all the corals you want to keep. If you make a hood with a little room you can easily add a couple of LED fixtures later on but you can definitely do lots of soft corals with what you have as long as you get new bulbs.

What bulbs would you recommend? I like the way the white and blue look together. I can pick them up tomorrow my lfs is having huge sale.

I always ran a 10000k and an actinic when I had a 2 PC light system. You can just see what they have for sale at the store and choose a combo that will work for you.

Picked up a 65 watt acintic light today, had to order a 10k since they were out. Which of those corals would host a clown the best?

Lindsay1718 said:
Picked up a 65 watt acintic light today, had to order a 10k since they were out. Which of those corals would host a clown the best?

As far as soft corals, probably a long-polyp toadstool leather. All my clowns hosted in them and I grew tons of them under 2 65w PCs. If you search google or YouTube you will likely find pics or vids of clowns hosting them.

Back
Top Bottom