Reef lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skank-a-holic

Aquarium Advice Regular
...I am on a budget and want to know if the below listed lighting system will be sufficient for my 75 gallon reef tank untill I can get something better down the road.

CORALIFE LIGHTING PRODUCTS:

Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip

48_Lunar_Aqualight_4X65W.jpg

Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps

Four 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps

Three on/off switches with three 8-foot power cords for separate timers

Built-in ballasts

Two cooling fans

Sleek aluminum housing

Highly-polished reflector

Acrylic lens cover

Our state-of-the-art Lunar Aqualight compact fluorescent light fixtures incorporate the Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED 470nm light which creates rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects while promoting spawning cycles in corals and reef life. Backed by the proven quality of the Aqualight product line, these superb lighting fixtures allow you to Capture the Sun and now...the Moon

It may be ok for LPS and mushrooms, but not enough light for SPS. If your corals need more light, you can move them higher up in the tank. It should be ok until you save up for a MH for that 75.

That is the same fixture I currently have on my 72gal reef. It is a very good light for most softies and LPS corals. I also have some SPS corals, a clam and a couple of BTA.

Would this be a better alternative:

Two 150 watt 10,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamps
Two 96 watt True Actinic 03 Blue square-pin compact fluorescent lamps
Three 1 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow 470nm LED lamps
Two external HQI metal halide ballasts with on/off switches, 12-foot lamp cords and 6-foot power cords
Two on/off switches and two 12-foot power cords (one for two True Actinic 03 Blue compact fluorescent lamps and one for two Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow 470nm LED lamps)
Sleek, anodized black-aluminum housing
Highly-polished reflectors
Built-in cooling fan
Acrylic compact fluorescent and glass lens covers
Mounting Legs included

53506.jpg

It really depends on what you want to keep. I am currently saving up for that particular fixture. I should be getting it sometime in July.

first off dont buy that one... IMO I would go on ebay and search for JEBO 220w http://search.ebay.com/JEBO-220w_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8 (theres the link... I saved you some trouble) and buy one of those. less than 100$ for the exact same thing. I bought that, and am thinking about buying another. I currently retrofitted the PC lights into my hood. the JEBO unit makes it really easy to do such a switch.

Just a thought, trying to keep your costs down.

Well IMO if your going to be getting into corals and are on a tight budget either buy retrofit kits or save $$ and buy MH for your tank. No use on buying a fixture that will be outdated when you want SPS or other corals that require enormous amounts of light.

first off dont buy that one... IMO I would go on ebay and search for JEBO 220w http://search.ebay.com/JEBO-220w_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8 (theres the link... I saved you some trouble) and buy one of those. less than 100$ for the exact same thing.
Actually, it is not hte same thing. The fixtures listed in the ebay link are CF lighting fixtures. The second fixture in question on this thread is a MH/CF fixture. It is much better.

Back
Top Bottom