Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only down fall i have seen with them is the legs can break easy if its sitting on tank. They are easy to find. The bulbs in it are ok but it was better when i replaced the bulbs with ATI's. If u are going to have the fixture sitting on the tank eventually get a second set incase!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are also 120w led fixtures on eBay for only $170. You can get 3 and grow anything you like!! I also think LEDs are better because you don't need to change bulbs out and they last for like 5-10yrs before needing to be replaced. It's also cheaper than the t5 fixture youre looking at

Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only bad thing about the led panels is the hanging. If you don't have a canopy it seems to me it would look cheesy ghetto rigged. LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol that's true but it's an excuse to get a canopy lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

See, I LIKE the non canopy look! LOL I really like the open top and just the light fixture on it. If I could I would get the led panels for the 6 foot 125g BUT I have no way to hang the lights from the ceiling, they are cathedral vaulted ceilings and like I said I don't like the canopy things. So I am happily stuck with my nova extreme pro. I can not complain though, had it for a year and everything thrives under the lights. The only corals I have lost have been my fault and not the lights. lol

I heard the same thing about the legs for the fixture but so far I havent had any issue with them. I also have another person help me remove the fixture when needed and we are super duper careful with it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I don't like the way they'd look hanging above my tank. I'm just hardly crafty enough to make a DIY sump, let alone hang $500 worth of electricity above a bunch of water on nothing but a hope and a prayer lol. I've also heard that LED lights won't penetrate the water as deep as t5s will. From wat I understand, led lighting is still evolving and hasn't quite reached its full potential. (But I could be very wrong as I have no experience with them, and have only heard thru forums and the such)

Carey or bavass, does the nova extreme pro lighting have 2 different plugs for the actinic and white lighting? Or is it a switch? Or are they always either both on or off?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes it had separate plugs. I have mine set on 2 different timers one set cuts off then an hour later the other set and reverse fir coming on. It does not have moon lights but i added them on mine. You will probably want to replace the bulbs that it comes with eventually. I bought ATI's a few months after i got the fixture and i kept the ones that came in it for spares. The ones that come in are fine i just wanted more of a variety of colors
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the Nova Extreme Pro over my 75 Gallon tank and I like it. I used a pulley system to hang it, and actually the pulley system looks pretty good IMO of course. I don't know if you can find it in my thread, I am having trouble posting pictures these past 2 weeks.

p.s. I'm not a diy person at all. But I'm learning through alot of ummm costly mistakes. I have a 20g on my coffee table to make to a sump but am chicken, started trying to cut plexiglass but it aint going so well. Here's another 6 month project LOL. Ask anyone, that's what it takes me to do something DIY like 6 months.

But seriously I like my light.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Call your local glass company and have them cut glass for you. Thats what i did cost my $12 for 2 baffles 1/4" thick. If you have a glass tank then you want glass baffles
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did the same as bavass for my DIY sump I'm making now, and the one I already made. At my local Lowes they cut the glass for free if you bu the big panel. So I had 4 baffles cut for right around $20. But of coarse this only works if ur using a glass tank. If you're using acrylic then I'd stick with acrylic panels, and in that case Lowes will cut the acrylic to the size u want as well, but the Acrylic sheets cost more than glass does. Don't use acrylic baffles if ur tank is glass cuz silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic nearly as well as it does to glass

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com