Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reef Lighting Confusion!!

Well I finally got permission from the wife to convert my 6 foot 125 gallon freshwater tank, to saltwater!! I plan on going with several different coral types, and have been debating on what type of lighting would be suitable. I've been reading forums after forums after forums and have decided on going with T5 lighting... My head is spinning after trying to figure out what would be best for different types of coral, yet be mildly cost efficient

I was looking into these lights...
AL-420038 Premium Aquatics - AL-420038 Aquarium Supplies

Would these be efficient enough for coral? If not all types, then what types would it be good for? This is about the most I'd want to spend for lights, so if anyone else has a better idea for most efficient lighting around the same price, I'd love tr it

I've also read about Icecap Ballasts that will overload a T5 bulb? What does this mean? Is this a different type of lighting system, or is it an add on to an existing lighting setup?

I'm open to hear anyone's thoughts on how i could approve this idea or setup! I want to make sure i get this right! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have these lights on my 6 foot 125g reef tank and find they grow pretty much anything. The fixture your looking at I believe has a total of 8 bulbs while this one has 12, much better coverage.

72" 12x39W Nova Extreme PRO T5HO 3x10k/3x460nm Actinics by Current USA*(1082) - AquaCave.com

You can find it cheaper if you look around, this link was just handy.

It doesnt have the moonlights, which I find unnecessary anyway or the timer. But it can easily be hooked up to walmart timers for just a couple bucks.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

8 bulbs, 2 rows of 4, plus lunar lights... I'd say that's a good fixture for at least soft corals. Probably most LPS corals will do ok (though some may need to be positioned higher). Very few SPS corals would do well under that, though. You'd be limited to Montis, Green Birdsnest, etc.
How deep is the tank? Deep sand bed, shallow?
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for the link Carey! I'll definately look into those!!

The tank is 24" if I'm not mistaken. I'm at work right now, but will post definate size when I get home. I think ima just do a shallow bed in the tank, and a DSB in the sump. I'm looking to do a 55 gallon sump so lll have room for overflow just in case. Ima start building the sump this weekend.

I might just get the light set that Carey posted. The more lights the better! And the price wouldn't be a whole lot more. I'll def look more into and keep u guys posted!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey, I found the lights in the link you posted on F&S for the exact same price as the one I was looking at, so I think that's the one I'm going to go with. Thank you again for posting that! That's a [moderator edit] good find!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You should be very pleased with the fixture. I have been able to keep anything I want so far with very good results for the most part. The only thing I have not kept is an anemone and a clam under these lights. I have some SPS even, higher up on frag racks but they are doing very well so far.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

two things to not go cheap on one is lights the other is skimmer. Buy the best you can buy the first time.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the Nova Extreme Pro not a good choice to go with bavass?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the 48" Nova Extreme Pro on my 55 and i love it, it was the only fixture that had 6 bulbs and wasn't wider than my tank
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

O ok. That's great to hear! My wife has been trying to talk me into buying some cheap Chinese made lights simply cuz they cost next to nothing... I told her it would end up costing us more in the long run because we'd end up having to buy multiple lighting systems trying to reach the setup I want.

I'm pretty stuck on getting the nova extremes cuz the price is right, especially for the quality and amount of bulbs. I've been doing nothing but searching for the perfect lights in my budget, and I'm glad to hear more good things about the nova extremes! I've read some reviews online of people saying that they actually don't put out the power they say they do, but I've read too many good things for that to keep me from getting them

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com