Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
why are you set on 6 lamps? i would go with an 8 lamp fixture. fans give you a few more months before you have to replace the bulbs. the cooler they run, they longer they last. t5's aren't blazing hot, so unless you have a glass shield, i don't think fans are necessary.
Im not set on 6 lamps, its just that most of the 8 lamp fixtures i've com across will be to wide for the 75gal. I just figured that the bulbs hanging over the rim would pretty much be a waste. As far as the fans go im just indifferent to them. If the fixture has them great if not oh well. It just seems that the fixtures im interested in with fans seem to be priced out of my range like the ATI. Im not however opposed to the TEK Elite which does have fans and better reflectors and its really only an extra $100.
Both of the aquactinics fixtures i was looking at have fans but they are pretty old and I figures it would just get harder and harder to find the parts if needed. Do you have any other fixtures that might be of interest to me.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

well I guess I'll throw this into the mix also: 48" 6x54W Nova Extreme PRO T5HO 3x10k/3x460nm Actinics by Current USA*(1081) - AquaCave

Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
most of the 8 lamp fixtures are not too wide. the entire fixture might be 19" but the lamp and reflector area is not. a tek 8 lamp fixture is 19.5" but there is only 15" of total reflector area. no light will spill over.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is awesome info. A person in the area just offered up a tek 8 bulb for $325. 6 month on the bulbs. Reef geek has them at $515 w/bulbs of my choice new. That will prob. Be the better deal.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com