reef octopus 3000 sss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Discovered tonight that my 3000 SSS is not working properly. It is just stammmering, starting and stopping constantly.
It is hooked up to a 5 min. delay during power outages, to avoid overflow, but not a circuit protector.
We have had storms in the past few days so I am fearing that the pump may have been fried...
I have tried cleaning everything out and making sure all parts are in order, but to no avail.
Looking for any and all input. Is the pump toast?

It sounds like your pump is toast. I recently had to replace a pump on my skimmer for the very same reason. There are some pumps made by aftermarket if you search around to save some money if necessary. Using the part number can lead you in the right direction. The only issue I had with this is that one of the fittings didn't fit right anymore due to a change in the skimmer over time, but they were able to provide an adapter that was sent out without charge.

Thanks for the input Sniper.
Nice to to see that you are still on the sight!
I am fearing that you are right...pump is done. I have soaked it in fresh water for a few days, and it is still inactive. Bummer, this skimmer is only about a year old. For an almost $600 skimmer, I expected more. Great skimmer, but only when it works! My Coralife "Super skimmer" lol, ran for over 7 years, non-stop.
Just disappointing, really...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Skimmers are just a topic of what has been continued disappointment for me. The concept is great, but I really feel that I have to be missing something. My reef octopus never produced skim. The company told me that it was simply to big and the internet stated that the pump was bad and to replace it with one that was over 100 bucks. My current Eshopps psk-75 has been a trooper, but I've never got anything other than tea colored skim. Tie that in with last night it overflowing and being close enough to slowly splash water out of the sump...about 2 gallons worth by the time I woke up to a very hungry ATO. I get it to a place where it is giving me a nice tea, being the best I can get out of it or any skimmer for that matter, a week or two and it will either overflow or drop the water column way into the body. Has me baffled...then even more not understanding as to why on earth they don't texture the pipe to adjust the flow so it isn't so hard to grip. I mean, even put something on it and make a small plastic wrench like a canister filter. Mind boggling and I'd love to not have to use one.

Well Sniper, skimmers can definitely be fickle, but I do feel that when working well, they are a great benefit to our aquariums. I have thought about running an algae scrubber, but I really like the automation of a skimmer.
My pump replacement is probably going to run me about $140... Which honestly really sucks, but it is the primary part of my filtration unit. I do still run a refugium, in addition to my skimmer, but feel the skimmer is a necessity. I understand that the skimmer in a way, contradicts the need for a refugium, but feel that whatever the skimmer cannot handle, the refugium will take care of.
Through the course of divorce and downsizing, my tank has become a FOWLR, more than a reef. This to me, only means that the skimmer is all the more important. Sold off more than $1500 in coral, and besides a few nice colonies of mushrooms and palys, it is mostly nicely colored rock... The upside to this, is that I have been able to keep a few fish I have never been able to keep!! My puffer, and my Angel are quite happy in a 180! Back to the fish side of the hobby, but it is a journey!
12 years, and still counting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom