Reef Octopus BH-1000 Priming? URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I just got the Reef Octopus BH-1000 and I set it up, and I have filled it with water. I filled it up to a certain point and plugged the skimmer in. I cover the air hose but the water keeps rising until it starts overflowing!!!!! I don't know what to do!! I am forced to turn the skimmer off because it keeps overflowing!! Can anybody help me?!?!?! Even if you have a different skimmer could you tell me how you primed it?

All new skimmers go through a break in period. I wouldn't be filling the skimmer up to the line at all, using it as more of a guideline. I would start it up only using as little water as possible and go from there.

Edit: You could soak the skimmer in a vinegar solution to pull some of the oils off of it that are left over from production as well to help things get going. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in properly.

Double edit: I believe you can adjust the height of the collection cup on this unit...right? If so, crank it the whole way up.

Last edited:
All new skimmers go through a break in period. I wouldn't be filling the skimmer up to the line at all, using it as more of a guideline. I would start it up only using as little water as possible and go from there.

Edit: You could soak the skimmer in a vinegar solution to pull some of the oils off of it that are left over from production as well to help things get going. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in properly.

Double edit: I believe you can adjust the height of the collection cup on this unit...right? If so, crank it the whole way up.

This is the sound and look of the skimmer as of now. PLEASE HELP IT'S LOUD AND I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY!!

There should be a Video above...? ^^^

It is most likely not primed then. Put the air line in the water for a minute, see if that starts it up.

What do you mean put it in the water? Should I physically put the tube into the water?

Is that the same as plugging the air pipe? Because it said to plug the air pipe before until it was just water but the water would rise up over the surface and overflow into the floor. Why does this happen? Will it be different if I put the air hose in the water?

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429097684.701822.jpg

This is a picture from this morning. It is producing gunk but it's still incredibly loud.

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

View attachment 270087

This is a picture from this morning. It is producing gunk but it's still incredibly loud.

40 gallon FOWLR
48 x 13 x 17
1 - Ocellaris Clownfish

what if you turned the return elbow so it is under the water or parallel with the surface instead of working like an overflow.

also try lowering the water level in the skimmer a little if possible, that way it should produce a drier foam.

what if you turned the return elbow so it is under the water or parallel with the surface instead of working like an overflow.

also try lowering the water level in the skimmer a little if possible, that way it should produce a drier foam.

How could I lower the water level in the skimmer?

How could I lower the water level in the skimmer?

well after taking a peak at the instructions it looks as if you control the consistency of the foam by raising or lowering the collection cup.
Raise the cup enough so that really wet bubbles don't quite reach the top and eventually it will begin to push out relatively dry foam.
it will take a little trial and error over the course of a week or two to get it dialed in just right.
Anytime I clean/maintain my DIY skimmer it always does the super wet foam/overflow for about the first few hours and within a day it is churning out dry foam again.

A lot of skimmers you adjust the water level in the skimmer by adjusting the return flow, but with a HOB model that isn't usually feasible as it is dictated by the water level in the display tank.

here is an idea to quit it down a little. I assume you object to the siphoning sound of the return?
I had the same issue with the overflow in my tank gurgling.
what I did was cut a chunk of Styrofoam to fit snugly into the overflow box and that greatly muffled any sound from it.
It looks as if you could do something similar going by the video and cover that open return section to muffle the sound. (y)

This is an update of what is happening today. It is better and I have produced a cup of light yellow gunk already! PB, what were you suggesting to help the sound?

yeah, that does look better.
what I was suggesting is put something over the drain/return section to muffle the sound. I imagine most of the noise is gurgling from it draining.
I used a piece of Styrofoam about 1" thick, and stuck it in there as a cover.

or turn the elbow of the drain so it is angled until it no longer is pulling from the surface, if it can be adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom