Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angry Reef Octopus BH2000 trouble

I just purchased this particular HOB skimmer and after installing it, was amazed by the performance of it. Just now though, I turned off several things in order to do a water change and when I turned everything back on, the skimmer was not functioning properly...

There were BARELY any bubbles in the chamber and the pump is making some weird, humming/rattling noise that comes in waves
______------___________-------___________--------

Needless to say, without those bubbles, the skimmer is doing nothing. Nothing aside from putting a ton of micro bubbles in my tank...

Any advice on what could be wrong with a 3 day old HOB protein skimmer after a water change?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

air in the pump....turn the pump on and place your finger on the air hose opening to close off air to the pump and watch the return chamber do not let it overflow when the water reaches within an inch of the top of the return chamber release the air hose...do this until all the air is out of motor and pump runs correctly should only take one time sometimes two. If this does not work it will be something else...let me know if this correct the issue if not we will go to the next step...

Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

I did that, but the bubble issue remains. It didn't get anywhere close to overflowing before the return had the water directed back into the tank. I tried slightly covering it so get the water higher, but that didn't seem to make any difference. The noise stopped though! That's definitely a plus! Still minimal bubbles though =[
Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe one of your cuc is not stuck in the pump take the pump apart and see if something is on the impeller.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Maybe one of your cuc is not stuck in the pump take the pump apart and see if something is on the impeller.

I agree take apart inspect and reassemble...then prime as I listed above and list results.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

CUC?

I took apart the pump, but nothing looked abnormal as far as I can tell.
How is the impeller supposed to move? In a circular motion or something more jagged?

I also did the priming thing again, but still to no avail...
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

These pumps are finicky at first startup from the factory, I had the same problems as you, but they are great after they are dialed in after you get it running right you will need to adjust the cup up and down to get desired skimmate should look like coffee but I marked my cup with lines on the cup with a permanent marker where I know where to set cup for lighter or darker skimmate.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

circular motion...But sometimes just taking it apart and reassembling it will fix the problem just do as you did the first time you set it up and it ran right and post results...after you reset it up reprime it and let it run a while a lot of time problems will work themselves out after running a few hrs just ensure the return chamber does not overflow....but if its running correctly when you prime it by stopping up the air tube the return chamber should rise and even over flow if not released.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Mine was great when it was first out of the box, but tell from it's glory and just frustrates me now.

The impeller in mine doesn't seem to want to move in a circular motion...
I'll try to set it up again, but I don't have all too much faith in it.
I'm emailing back and forth with someone from coralvue and they're blaming the thread tape I put on. Am I the only one that thinks that makes no sense?...
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also sometimes after water change the skimmer those that. since you found nothing wrong with pump just let it run and see what happens or you try dialing it up if it dials up then the skimmer is just doing its thing. Usually it don't just jump back in after water change.

Tags
octopus, reef, reef octopus, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com