Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Reef octopus diablo skimmer

Which is better for optimal skimming. Having the water level closer to the max line or the minimum line ? Is it minimum line for watery skim and Max line for dry skim?

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you're within the water line, you should be fine. I think it's between 8-10" if it's an in sump skimmer.

What affects the consistency of the skimmate is not the water line, but how dialed in the valve is on the skimmer. A dryer skimmer with the gate valve open, a wetter skimmer with the gate valve closed etc.

As for optimal skimming, as long as you top off your water to keep the waterline where it should be, and dial in your skimmer to give you a decent skim you'll be fine. It takes time to find the right setting (more wet/dry etc). Leave the skimmer alone overnight and see how you like the skimmate produced. Adjust as needed and test overnight again and so on until you find the consistency you like. I like mine on the dryer side with only a bit of water collected. Not sure how it's "supposed" to be but i like the results i'm getting.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok thanks for the detailed reply. I am at the end my cycle so I will have to wait until my fish are in there to really get it dialed . I was just curious as this is my first in sump skimmer.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
Which is better for optimal skimming. Having the water level closer to the max line or the minimum line ? Is it minimum line for watery skim and Max line for dry skim?
I say somewhere in the middle is good. I keep my reef octopus little below middle. I like dryer skim which is towards the minimum level. Wet skim would be towards the top. Wet will fill up pretty fast and not be as dense skimmate. Dry skim will take over a week maybe 2 to get good amount in collection cup but will be very stinky skimmate. You will be very happy with reef octopus.

Make sure you keep your sump level consistent. This skimmer is pretty sensitive to water level changes the skimmer sits in. When I turn my return pump off and water back drains into sump I have to unplug skimmer because it will overflow.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok it's in my first chamber so the evaporation won't mess with the level . Only if I loose power but then the skimmer will be off as well. I'll remember to unplug when I do water changes.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good deal. Sounds like you have right setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1709071395.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	68891

This is only 3 days of skimmate. I did do major cleaning of tank tho yesterday so that could have some effect on how much was produced. Oh and did I mention I love this skimmer.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is there any way you can post a pic showing your water level in the skimmer? I have almost a quarter inch of brown liquid in mine in a week while cycling.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your skim will definite be different then mine. Your tank brand new as well as skimmer being new. It takes week or 2 to fully break in. I also have 8 fish in a 90 gallon with 55 sump. Been running for 6 years. So can't really compare skimmate. But trust me it is a good purchase. I started off with a seaclone 150. Only have had reef octopus for about 3 months.

Name:	image-2542121820.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	68911

Name:	image-2541777137.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	68912

My water level now is right where it starts to turn brown. About 1 inch above minimum water level. Although it usually is about 1 inch above that. I had to Lower it due to major cleaning and skimmer went crazy. So my usually water level is 2 inches about minimum water level give or take a little.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok cool thanks man. I know it will take a while for mine to be nice and dirty . I just like to know everything ahead of time .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, you'll love your octopus skimmer. I love mine. Works like a horse. What kind of model did you get?

Tags
octopus, reef, reef octopus, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com