Reef Octopus NWB-150-6"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking at ordering this and wondering if anyone has one or used one in the past. It's the Reef Octopus NWB-150-6". I had originally received the Coralife Super Skimmer 125. Just wondering between the two.

Thanks...Steve

I have the Octopus NW-150. Not sure exactly what the differences are, but I love that skimmer. Good price, low maintenance and produces great skimmate.

Moving this to General Hardware forum.

+1 on the NW 150 great skimmer I have it on my 72G and it can skim out ton of nasties... :)

Very good skimmer. The difference between the new NWB and the original NW is the shape of the skimmer body. The new NWB has a semi cone shape to it for better performance.

Running a NW-150 on a 125 FOWLR and it is great. The only drawback I have figured out is that if you shut it off during a PWC, when you fire it back up it completely overflows for a while until it 'tunes' itself back in, so I just pull the drain plug and let it go for a few hours or so, then it's fine. Other than that, it's my fav.

Interesting Floyd. Is that because the water level in the sump is so much higher while the return pump is off that causes it to overflow?

No, the sump doesn't raise that much in that particular tank during PWC because I lift up the jets after shutting the return pump off. It overflows if I shut off the skimmer (at all) and then plug it back in. I don't quite understand why, so my solution is to just leave it on no matter what. If the sump level raises too far it overproduces, but goes right back to normal when the sump level drops.

No, the sump doesn't raise that much in that particular tank during PWC because I lift up the jets after shutting the return pump off. It overflows if I shut off the skimmer (at all) and then plug it back in. I don't quite understand why, so my solution is to just leave it on no matter what. If the sump level raises too far it overproduces, but goes right back to normal when the sump level drops.
Have you ever cleaned the venturi? It's the part where the airline connects to the pump. Salt creep builds up inside there and can slow down the air going into the skimmer. With less air, you have more water and it can/will overflow. It's possible when you shut the pump off there is some blockage and you don't get all the air it normally gets when you 1st plug the pump back in.

Back
Top Bottom