reef octopus skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thinking about getting one too. not very good instructions online for them... i would like to hear what everyone has to say.

Following also. :) I may need skimmer eventually too so I'd also like to see the info.

We have one. The instructions are the worst I've ever seen but once you get them up and running... Absolutely no complaints here!

Where do you have the water levels on it set both the inside and outside levels. And is your waste gate above the water?

The pics should give you some indication as to how ours is set up. The water levels vary but it was just a week of trial and error for us. The discharge sat above water for several months and was irritatingly loud so this week my husband retrofitted a PVC elbow and it now discharges under the water level which significantly reduced our salt creep and evaporation as well as the sound of the waterfall in our living room.

Attachments

• image-86803431.jpg
    image-86803431.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2886318967.jpg
    image-2886318967.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1288787365.jpg
    image-1288787365.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 66
I have the original NW200 model. I have it in my sump on a platform I made out of egg crate and it sits in about 7" of water. The water/bubble line inside the skimmer is just about the the point where the body tapers into the neck.

It works great. Took a week or so to fine tune but it really skims the crap (pun intended) out of our water. Our is rated to 250 gallons so we definitely over skim but it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Just work with it and give it some time.

WOW! just come home and this thing is skimming like crazy!! Why did I ever waste my money on the cheap one I was trying to use before it?

Back
Top Bottom