Reefbrite leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are 7.2 watts per strip of 30 leds (i know its low but im experimenting to see if it will work with low light requiring corals) (600ma) at 12v dc so ill have like 30 watts total in white alone and then the same in blues totaling about 60 watts also im going to put only one coral in and see if it lasts longer than 9 months and looks healthy ill add one more and see in 9 months if it dies than it dies i know its messed up but if it lives.... im going to have a super low power sweet azz 200 gal. Dt...and if it dont work ill just make it a fowlr no big deal but i figure at total cost of around $250 with out having high power consumption as with mh and reduced bulb replacement needs its worth a shot im not going to be all heart broken if i kill one coral like a toadstool or something but if you know its not going to work like as in you've done it before with the same 12k white leds and what not then id like to know so i dont waste 200+ bucks on parts and shipping....anyways thanks for the intrest mr. x and i have heard that i should have at least one watt for gro lighting leds for good light covrage but i did read this from the cree led producers and i know that might be a marketing ploy to help sell their products...and it might not but i dont think it would hurt that much to give a try i know i wanna go led but dont wanna spend about 3200 lighting my tank with the pre built cree lights my tank would require and still barely get enough par to the bottom of my tank... "Feed back always appreciated" even if i sound sarcastic to you im not trying to be thanks again mr. X

they are not going to work for you. over a 200 gallon, even 1 watters will not be enough. you are wasting your money.

Is that a fact youve tested? or something youv been fed by manufacturers? As iv also been told that i couldnt keep an h. Magnifica under my current lighting of t12's 20 watts each two 6000k and two black lights but in the same aquarium that i have before i had it my dad kept one for over a year actually i believe it was closer to two years and was sold at the time of my dads death (not trying to sound like a jerk just stating facts)

Also my tank now recieves direct sun light from about 45 mins after sunrise till about 12 due to it being in a room with lots of windows but still not sure this would help out that much....

that's a fact that many have tested before me. the black lights are doing nothing for the anemone. keeping something alive and having it thrive are two different things. go to any LFS. you'll see anemones in 20 gallon tanks daisy chained together with only a single tube over them. they are certainly alive, but definitely not thriving.
i believe your trying to attempt to recreate a reef in your home. this would require ample lighting so that things stay healthy and brightly colored. We don't even know the lifespan of an anemone. we do know that it's more than 2 years. with supplemental feedings, i suppose it's possible, but why would you want to push the envelope and half-*** it?
the popular LED fixtures of today are using 3 watt (or higher)LEDs to stand up to the halide and T5 options. why would they do this if it was unnecessary?

Not sure y. but thats much better to hear for me that its facts. i am aware that popular led fixtures are using high power 3 watt leds like the cree leds or what ever but am also aware that even though they are using 3 watters they are not (always) driving them at three watts some times they drive them around 1.5 watts or even 2.5 watts so that the leds wont burn out as fast that may be why im no scientist but iv done the math on some of them and found that to be ture. Like this one http://www.hero-ledstore.com/coral-...d-white-1000012000k-led-with-star-p-1690.html is only a 1.15 watts total and i know thats much more powerfull than the other ones i was planing on doing i dont have my math sheet here in front of me right now but i believe that the ones i was going to use were .25 watts and am no longer considering these as you have convinced me that it will be a waste of money... and i thank you for this also am posting using my phone so sorry for bad punctuation and what not

Also on a side not the anemone was thriving imo it did reach a size of more than a foot and was not being target fed (as we had some mean fish trigger lions and what not) i wish i had pictures of it. Although it did like being at almost the highest point in the tank where the power head was pointing. Probably for a need of all the light it could get with the low power set up we had/ i have anyways thanks for your input Mr_x

At the risk of sounding stupid.... is par stackable like if i had a bulb that put out idk lets just say 165par at 2 feet and i needed 330 at that depth could i just put a second of the same type of bulb to reach my goals???

not with depth so much as width. why do you need 330 PAR at 2 feet? is that the sand bed? if so, you don't even need close to that. 150 PAR is more than enough.

It was a hypothetical question with totally made up values ;-) but yes my sand bed is at about 2' give or take up to about 3" pending on where/ what side of the tank your looking at.

So adding lights wont help with raising par when it comes to depth? But with width it will? Interesting..

Back
Top Bottom