ReefKeeper Lite Plus - worth the investment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am considering buying this controller for my new build. I like the control of heaters, lights, powerheads, ATO, skimmer, monitoring PH, and temp. It would allow me to get rid of my timers and some of the cord mess. I am looking at the RKL plus for the additional outlets and control. Can anyone who has used this give me some input on whether it is worth it or not? Seems like the Apex that is close to this is about twice the price. Or is it not worth the expense at all and not needed? Inputs please!

I had the RK elite setup a while back, and while I had it I LOVED it! BUT I ended up selling it off and to be honest, I don't really miss it. Then again, I never fully utilized all it's possible features but it did cut down on the cord clutter just a little bit. Keep in mind those same cords are still gonna be under the hood somewhere, just now they will be plugged into the RK strips. lol
if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. Now, if you were to use it for dosing and calcium reactors and all that kind of thing, it might be a good investment.

Thanks for the input Carey! I don't plan on dosing right away, but do plan on having more SPS than I have in the past. So, I suspect that dosing may be in my future plans. Also, it has a built in wavemaker and ATO setup, so those are two things that I can get rid of. Just more seems like a failsafe and a consolidation of some things that I already have. It can turn heaters, fans and light on and off to control temp also. Just seems handy to me. Would also like to get rid of the manual timers (three of them) for the tank and sump lights.

The wavemaker feature isnt that great, it literally just turns a powerhead on and off. You have an option for 4 running and there are only 2 channels. So two powerheads on and two off, then the two on and the other two off.

I did like how you could monitor the system and the lighting control was the biggest thing I loved.

You are looking at the lite version correct? I believe you can only have 4 things hooked up to it. And you would need a controller box for the salinity/ph option. Sooo you have 2 banks of electric sockets, one for the ph/or salinity and that leaves only one open.

This was the reason I went with the elite version. More money but WAAAAY more control and options.

The one I'm looking at is the ReefKeeper lite plus. It has 2 banks of outlets and the PH probe and controller I believe.

Just be sure to check out the maximum capacity on the one you want. I know I wasnt happy with the limit of four, I had wanted to put in the moonlights and it wouldn't have worked with the lite. :) Just saying. Don't want you to be disappointed if its not extendable.

Thanks Carey! Since my first saltwater tank 3 years ago, you have always been there to guide me and answer my questions.

Back
Top Bottom