Reflective surface & light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so if I don't knock down walls 2 of the new tanks are going to have 6-8" of tank behind another tank that sit at right angles to them. I use HOBs & always double up so I can put 1 of the filters there but I would like to also put a mirror like background so that I can see any inhabitants that might be hiding back there if I ever need to empty the tank. Any ideas? I had considered the film they use on car windows but was told it took dish soap mixed with the water to allow you to position it properly so that is definitely a no go. Aluminum foil was a consideration but if it ever tore or was crinkled replacing it would be a PITA.
On a side note I have a *new to me* incandescent light fixture where the white plastic back has been discoloured by using a too hot bulb -its brown- and that has had it's reflector removed for some reason & replaced with foil. I will be using LED bulbs so heat should not be an issue but am I missing any other issues?

Ok so if I don't knock down walls 2 of the new tanks are going to have 6-8" of tank behind another tank that sit at right angles to them. I use HOBs & always double up so I can put 1 of the filters there but I would like to also put a mirror like background so that I can see any inhabitants that might be hiding back there if I ever need to empty the tank. Any ideas? I had considered the film they use on car windows but was told it took dish soap mixed with the water to allow you to position it properly so that is definitely a no go. Aluminum foil was a consideration but if it ever tore or was crinkled replacing it would be a PITA.
On a side note I have a *new to me* incandescent light fixture where the white plastic back has been discoloured by using a too hot bulb -its brown- and that has had it's reflector removed for some reason & replaced with foil. I will be using LED bulbs so heat should not be an issue but am I missing any other issues?
I understand your desire to see behind ornaments, rocks, ect. But if you're ever going to empty a tank, it's best to take all those things out first before taking out the critters first. Some fish will uncomfortable with too much light and try to find shad in the tank to get away from it. In bright tanks, that's the reason a lot of fish hide. With a mirrored background, the light would also get rid of shaded places for fish to go. I really don't recommend a mirrored background, but of course it your choice.

Back
Top Bottom