Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just received the refractometer they sell at Bulk Reef Supply and attempted to calibrate it as per the instructions and I cannot get the blue and white to line up at zero. Can anyone help me with this?

You shouldnt be calibrating to zero they should have sent this with the meter

This would help haha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_200538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_200538.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 58
I used the calibration fluid and it started at 1.03 sg. I turned the screw to try ang get the areas to line up and now I can't.

What do you mean you cant? Drop the fluid onto the lense and then adjust until it reads 35ppt and your done lol very simple.

No 35 parts per thousand.. says it right on the bottle lol let me check real quick to see the sg

Ya like I thought its natural sea water your meter should read sg on the left and ppt on the right. 1.026/35ppt

There are two scales on the view, the sg and what looks like a fraction on the right side. Is the right side to be used for calibration?

Look at the bottle of calibration fluid

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_203652.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_203652.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
Amicus said:
There are two scales on the view, the sg and what looks like a fraction on the right side. Is the right side to be used for calibration?

Yes the right side is your ppt (parts per thousand)

This is what you got right?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_204058.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_204058.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 50
Thanks very much, I thought I broke it or something. I'm a newbie. So my Reading after calibration was 1.029. I should top off the water, right?

Yep top off with Ro/Di but before you do remember this when you calibrate it give it 45 seconds to sit to adjust to room temp. Then calibrate, now when testing water wait 30-45 seconds for that temp to adjust to room temp because water at the same salinity at different temps will give different readings.

I thought about it but the tank was kind of a last minute purchase. I got it with water and rock and it was already cycled. Isn't to late to start one?

You don't have to name it a build thread.. I kinda just did mine on the sidelines but now that I'm more active in the AA community I opened up my "Mrc's 46 gallon BF thread" which I can now keep my updates and little chit chat and question in a single thread which will help keep clutter down in the forums and allow you to build up more and more followers for a larger pool of answers and advice :)

Back
Top Bottom