Refractometer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't trust my brand new IO Hydrometer and want to get a good refractometer. Is there a big difference between brands? What brand do you recommend?

Any should work well if properly calibrated. We got a Sybon from fosters and smith and it's dead on.

I got the same one and am happy with it. You will be surprised at the difference in readings from the hydro to the refracto...

Thanks guys. I took my Hydro to 4 different LFS's with my water and not only didn't any of the results match but the discrepancy was huge especially compared to mine.

The hydros aren't ATC either, so the temp of the water throws off the readings...

I would have to go a separate route... My Hydrometer is always dead on with my Refractometer... Are you soaking it in Vinegar before using it? Make sure also to let it sit in some saltwater before using it. I test my Salinity with both sometime and it's always dead on. Also make sure there are no bubbles settling on the swing arm that will always throw your reading of... JMO

I would have to go a separate route... My Hydrometer is always dead on with my Refractometer... Are you soaking it in Vinegar before using it? Make sure also to let it sit in some saltwater before using it. I test my Salinity with both sometime and it's always dead on. Also make sure there are no bubbles settling on the swing arm that will always throw your reading of... JMO
Thanks for the info Tank, I haven't soaked it in vinegar, i soak it in fresh water then rinse in saltwater then take my readings, and i do verify that there are no air bubbles on the arm. I'll try the vinegar trick when i take my next reading. I'll really be able to verify it's accuracy when i get the refractometer, I'll order it sometime today.

refractometer are so cheap accurate and easy to use. Just get 1. No more mucking around with the water testing.

Back
Top Bottom