Refractometer Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Believe it or not, that's the exact one I was planning on buying any day. I'll be watching to see what others think. =)

i have that exact one it works great highly accurate i would recommend it to anyone

Sweet, sounds good for me. I actually bought distilled water not too long ago, so I have some around here somewhere. I'll be buying this as well. =) Thanks to the OP for posting this too =)

I'm with ccCap. I'd recommend calibrating to a known salinity (the calibration fluid) than calibrating against the zero salinity of distilled or ro/di water.

Why would calibrating with distilled water make your results inaccurate? I'm not saying that I don't believe you I'm just saying I don't see how that would skew results since distilled water has a concentration of 1.000.

Why would calibrating with distilled water make your results inaccurate? I'm not saying that I don't believe you I'm just saying I don't see how that would skew results since distilled water has a concentration of 1.000.
The easiest way to describe it is because plain water and salt water refract (bend) light differently. A refractometer measure how much the water bends the light.
Gotcha. So if you use calabration fluid, what do you adjust the setting to? With dist. water I set it to 1.000.
Calibration fluid is 35ppt. So when you put it on the refractometer it should read exactly 35ppt.

Dang well I already ordered it so I guess I'd have to place another order and pay the shipping to get the fluid. That kinda sucks but oh well

Back
Top Bottom