Refractometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking on eBay and many other sites for a refractometer .
What is a good one vs no good ,
What should it include ?
It does need calibration fluid included ?

Ive had a v2 one but broke straight away and now got the d-d h2 Ocean one now and like it better that v2 seems better built and both same price, comes with calibration fluid but don't say to use it and was fine with just tap water

Ive had a v2 one but broke straight away and now got the d-d h2 Ocean one now and like it better that v2 seems better built and both same price, comes with calibration fluid but don't say to use it and was fine with just tap water

There are many most are either from USA or China . They are all new but doesn't say anything about including calibrating fluid .

Just use ro/di water or distilled water for calibration. Some refractometer have temperature compensation for accuracy but if you really think about it, you don't need such accuracy. The important thing is that you have the same readings on both water you are dealing with to maintain the salinity. The thing I like about it is that you need only 3 drops of sample to get a reading which is very convenient when acclimating livestock.

I actually read a very good article that says not to use distilled water to calibrate. Get a bottle of calibration fluid for $5, it will last you a very long time...

He did shout out loud not to use distilled water or ro water for calibrating refractometer but never explained any reason why. We are hobbyist and not scientist to have a perfectly calibrated salinity tester. I would say the free standing hydrometer is reliable enough as long as you level the table properly where you put it. If you notice the graduation of the refractometer is too close and tiny that you can hardly see a space in between bars. Compare to the free standing hydrometer you can really see more space in between bars. As I mentioned, the good thing about the refractometer is you only need 3 drops of the sample for your test which is very convenient when acclimating live stock.

Back
Top Bottom