Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Refractometers - What's The Difference?

Hello everyone - I am planning on ordering a refractometer tomorrow from the 'Doctors Foster & Smith' website ... they offer two models - one appears to be a generic unit at a reasonable price and the other looks to be a name brand refractometer at much more money.

Hydrometers, Refractometers, & Salinity Monitors for Saltwater Reef and Marine Aquarium Testing

Will the generic unit suffice for checking specific gravity or would it be best to go with the more expensive unit?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Mainly accuracy. We use the Vital Sine at work, but I don't like them. It doesn't state what the accuracy of the cheaper model is on the website...

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Mainly accuracy
But surely even though it is a no-name refractometer it has to be accurate within very acceptable tolerances for a home aquarium - right?

Out of curiosity can I ask what you do for a living - you use a refractometer at work ...
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I work in a public aquarium. Not all refracs are built with the same integrity. I would find out the accuracy first...if the accuracy is comparable to +/-1ppt then the cheaper may serve you better as long as you take good care of it. You can always return it if you do not like it. Check marinedepot.com
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
I work in a public aquarium. Not all refracs are built with the same integrity. I would find out the accuracy first...if the accuracy is comparable to +/-1ppt then the cheaper may serve you better as long as you take good care of it. You can always return it if you do not like it. Check marinedepot.com
Ok - thank you for the advice. Sounds like a great gig working at a public aquarium (minus the public!).

Tags
meters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com