Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading some posts and people seem to say that carbon isn't needed in a reef tank and i currently have a marineland 350 gph dual biowheel HOB filter with carbon filters on my 20 gal long. I'm just curious if a Refugium would be a good idea for my HOB filter? And if so what is a Refugium and what should be in it?

A refugium is a 'safe place'. This is usually in a HOB fuge or in a sump. In most tanks it is a place to grow macroalgae for nutrient export. If the macroalgae uses up the nitrate and phosphate then unwanted algae in the display can't.

Carbon can be beneficial or harmful depending on the tank. Some tanks will benefit from it because it removes certain toxins (what builds up in any tank, toxins from corals, etc.). If you are doing enough water changes and the tank is doing well enough for trace elements and micronutrients to be your limiting factor then carbon can be harmful because it will remove these things.

Ok thanks for the help. I just wish I had more room for a sump.

Back
Top Bottom