refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
what's wrong with my refugium? the plants just keep dying. i don know what i did wrong. can someone help? right now i have only sand gravel which is not those puposely for refugium. is this ok? or do i have to buy?

You need reef mud.

The Mud / Eco method

If one were to take the basic concepts of all the methods above you would have the Mud System.

Envision removing all the bio-media from the sump below, place a layer of 'mud' across its bottom, illuminate this chamber with light and grow various algaes within it, you would have the Mud System. Granted that is the simplified version, so let me explain.

The layer of 'mud' becomes a low oxygen enviroment allowing various anoxic bacteria's to perform de-nitrification. The algaes harbor many small creatures who help break down the debris, and in combination with the debris this enviroment creates a fertile area for the plants to grow. The plants, via photosythesis, consume a large percentage of the nirtogen rich debris. The illumination, which is the opposite time frame of the main tank, provide the energy for the plants, as well as, minimize the pH and carbon dioxide fluctuations within the aquarium.

Within the tank, at the bottom, is a layer of sand. Placed upon the sand bottom is the live rock. The live rock forms the foundation that the living corals are placed upon.

This was gotten from here....
http://www.masla.com/reeftheory.html

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/products.html

i know many people who utilize and run effective fuges without mud, only Live Sand...

What kind of lighting do you use for the fuge?

I have LS and LR in my fuge. Mud is seldom used. What type algae are you keeping? What kind of lights? Also how much flow do you have in the fuge?

I do have mud and sand but I know many with just sand. Breden asked the key questions

This is the second time I have heard about this "miracle mud". I was under the impression that you need a dsb in a refuge not mud. Two different appraoches to accomplish the same thing?

Tnx,
Brian

I do have mud but it is not needed. Just something the LFS put in and covered with sand. If I had to do over I would not put it in. Waste of time and money

Mud is not needed, Sand is fine. Not saying it better, I think they both are good but a SB is easier and cheaper to set up. I used SD play sand in both of my fuges and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom