refugium Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had my sump/refugium setup now for about 2 months.......2" LSB and a few Live rocks.....refugium is about 5gal......Im starting to get a lot of black stuff around the bottom and on the mangrove pods.......dont know if this is normal....Im new to the whole refugium thingy......it is also getting a strong smell like the beach..........running lights in the fuge 10 hours a day........using LOA 65 watt PC fixture............Please help..or is this normal......I dont want it to get to the main tank because it looks BAD

Attachments

• sump_147.jpg
    sump_147.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 76
I get stuff like that in my fuge as well. I has never made it to the main though. I have always attributed it to the low flow in the fuge.

Do not increase the flow too much as most fuge critters like it slow. You could increase it a bit and add maybe a couple Blue Leg hermits or scarlet hermits, even a some snails might help keep nutrient levels down. The other option is to syphon out the goop when it grows, that is alway a way to remove nutrients too.

Back
Top Bottom