Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

refugium what are they??

Im not that new to the hobby but im new to reefs and i here a lot about these things on reef forums so they must be related some how right??? I would just like to know the purpose of them and the pros and cons....

Old 09-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A refugium is a partitioned tank that it connected to the main tank. It provides a safe haven for small critters to reproduce and provide additional food for fish and invertibrates. Many folks use them to grow macroalgae's to absorb nutrients and incorporate DSB's for NNR. Many benefits with no downside except the potential cost to set one up. Well worth the cost if you have the space.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

A colleague of mine has something like this set up where we work. It consists of two 55-gal tanks, one situated over the other. They are supported by a wooden rack. The upper tank has a 3/4" PVC standpipe that is set to the level of the water where he wants it. This pipe flows into the lower tank. The lower tank is partitioned by two pieces of lexan. The left side of the tank holds a single damselfish. The middle partition is a mechanical/biofilter using small spherical plastic combs. The right partition is set up with a small pump and a spool of biofloss. This pump drives the water and other biomass back to the top tank.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im setting up a 20 gall. reef. Would i even need a refugium for a tank so small??
Old 09-22-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers18
Im setting up a 20 gall. reef. Would i even need a refugium for a tank so small??
A refugium will benefit any size tank. For a small tank it has the added benefit of increasing your total water volume which will help you keep your tank more stable.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I would like to add a refugium to my tank, however, hang on the back overflow boxes make me nervous. am I right to be nervous about them??? Should I maybe consider a water pump instead???
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm using the CPR Aquafuge and its very safe as long as the outflow does not get clogged. Fortunately the outflow is far enough away from the tank walls that a snail couldn't get into it.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

How would i go about building a refuge on a tank that isnt drilled or where can i find some diy info and pics of one on a 20 gal. reef
Old 09-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AA has a DIY forum you may be able to get some ideas from.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=14

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com