Refunding a used Biorb in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbleblower

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

Has anyone tried returning a used fish tank in Australia?

I am considering getting a full refund on my recently purchased Biorb as it has sucked in my poor Siamese Algae eater; I wasn't warn that this could be a potential issue as well as the media being dangerous for the fish (damaging fins and such).

I'm currently studying law and have looked into the Australian Consumer Law Act and I think I have reasonable grounds to refund it but wanted to get a gauge on how much resistance I may experience from you guys so I can go in prepared.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone was curious on what grounds I was returning it for their own FYI:

ACL defines a major problem as:
- A reasonable consumer would not have bought the good had they known about the problem (Gravel causing fin damage and fish getting caught in the filter cartridge)
- Goods are unsafe.

In terms of time limits to request a refund:
- There are no time restrictions however on the grounds of a reasonable person businesses need to consider:
a) type of product (fish tank)
b) how a consumer is likely to use it (recommended cycling between 2-8 weeks; so let's assume the middle of 6 weeks)
c) the length of time of time for the product to be used^
d) the amount of use it reasonably expected to tolerate before the failure becomes noticeable (in my case 2 weeks; and the businesses interpretation can be argued)

Just to be safe I looked on the company's website to see their recommended cycling time and it just said several weeks or between 2-8 weeks.
Their website also says "items must be unused and in the original packaging" however that is contrary to the ACL and therefore void (although I did keep the original box and receipt anyway).

Just in case you are unsuccessful in returning your orb...

Biorb sells a bubble tube guard just in case you have fish likely to take a tube dive.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473936153.313521.jpg

I have a betta in my orb. When I set up the tank for cycling I could feel how rough the ceramic media was. I covered it will a layer of polished stones similar to most of the ad photos, this served to protect my Betta's fins.

A few months later I converted to Biohome gravel and ditched the Biorb media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom