Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
I've been working like a dog lately so no I have not yet found the information I require. I am still looking into it and I'm not done with this thread yet. I've just been really tied up with work. My fish are jealous

Joe

Old 07-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, so I looked up the g.a.r.f. instructions about how to build this tank. It will be around 126 gallons, 5 feet long, 2 feet tall and 2 feet deep. The g.a.r.f. instructions are pretyy straight forward except I do not understand the 'bracing' aspects of these instructions what-so-ever. Would anyone care to elaborate them for me a bit? I would apreciate it. Here is what I DO NOT understand:

(taken from the cut list)
Top Front/Back brace = 49 1/4 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 23 1/4 " x 2"

-Is that telling me I need two 49" strips of glass? Same question about the 23" pieces.

Then there is this:

"After the silicone has cured, it is time to add the glass to the top. This piece of glass makes the sides stronger so the glass does not bow when the tank is filled."

Where the heck do the braces go exactly? Sorry if this is a lame question. Thanks in advance for any help.

One last quick question, do aquariums NEED plastic bracing around all exposed cornors and edges? I'm sure you know what I mean, the bracing that forms a 90 degree angle and is usually precut and all one -rectangular- piece. That's the way it is on my current 20 gallon tank.

Special thanks from Bruce and Niles, my Iridescents -as this will be their new home.

Joe

Old 07-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
The glass pieces are all siliconed and the long pieces go across the back and front of the tanks top and the short pieces go on the right and left... I would have expected another strip for the center though, did you understand that one and not included it or was it not on the cut-list?

I dont think questions are lame.. heck my brain fizzes out sometimes and I cant make heads or tales out of the most simple things every once in a while.. I think it happens to the best of us sometimes.. LOL
Old 07-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

So in other words those lengths of glass would look like 'trim' around the top of the aquarium? There was no centre peice mentioned.

Joe
Old 07-12-2005, 04:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lengths of glass actually look more like the beginnings of a installed lid with a smaller opening to the top of the tank..
I went to garf.org and your right there is no center brace.. but the sides and front and back braces are big they are 2" wide.. the braces do go on top of the aquarium laying flat to form the brace.. it is like a big clear trim in 4 pieces HTH
Old 07-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Neat, that bracing would also be useful for designing a canopy for I still think a center brace would be needed.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Joe
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

A center brace definatly wouldnt hurt.. sorry I missed this post by the way
Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a custom built older tank. From my understanding from a little research the tank was typical of German consturction during the time period. I did find out that my tank was built by a father/son duo from Germany. They approached the center bracing and resulting bowing issues in the following manner.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice tank Lepomis..
If it were me I would most likely put the center brace front to back just under the front and back braces.. Or from edge to edge of the front and back tank braces.
I personally like the first idea better but the second option would look nicer..
that and if I had my choice and was building a tank from scratch I would build a tank with greater surface area than normal tanks.. like making it 24 to 36 inches wide :P

Tags
build, building, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com