Regarding building an all glass 100 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to buy a 100gallon+ aquarium but there are no retailers in my area who stock them. The closest would be a five hour commute which is out of the question. Today I called a local "glass smith", I'm not sure what they are actually called, and the person with whom I spoke said they could build the aquarium but not the frame. I told them I would find a frame suitable for this application and get back to them. That said, does any one know a good resource for purchasing aquarium frames? I would prefer one made from all steele with good bracing. Thanks in advance.

Joe

see if you cant find All-Glass's support number.. its probibly on there website.. and ask for replacement frames for the size tank you want to build.. someone in DIY was talking about how they ordered a top replacement frame for a 55 for like $15 so they dont sound too expensive..

Could you elborate a bit please? Maybe give me a link or something to work with?

Thanks a biliion!

Joe

You could e-mail them and ask about the replacement trim parts.. info@all-glass.com

Building the tank to there size specs would be nessisary.. you might want to order the trim first to make sure that your building the tank to fit them.. the size tanks they make are at this link..
http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html
HTH :mrgreen:

P.S.
be carefull to note at the bottom of the page...
* Exact outside dimensions including aquarium frame.

This should be possible with a different aquarium brand.. like Oceanic!
there e-mail is customerservice@oceanicsystems.com
the only problem I see with that is Oceanic uses the next bigest thickness in glass then what is nessasary.. Im not sure you would want the extra expence.. :?

Just to add, steel is not necessary as bracing for an aquarium. The silicone used to glue the tank together, is more than adequate to hold it together. However, I find it odd that no retailer will order a tank of the size you want. It is usually cheaper to buy a prebuilt tank with warranty, than to buy the glass and do it yourself, or have it custom built. I have built a number of tanks, but only because the glass was free.

I live on Cape Breton Island. There is ONE pet store that doesn't stock any aquarium equipment and 2 WalMarts so I am pretty much ***edited***. I'll have to have the beast custom made.

Joe

By the way you can build a tank without the plastic trim.. you can use strips of glass for the top to support the sides.. have you checked out the GARF instructions in the DIY section?

I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that the 'bow' stress on the front and back glass sheets can become a MAJOR issue if the length of the sheets starts getting up there. The major function of the top frame on a 'long' aquarium (i.e. 4 ft or longer) is to relieve the 'bow' stress on the glass by tying the tops of the front and back glass sheets together to prevent bowing. Even if the glue used to secure the front and back glass sheets to the end glass sheets is strong enough to stand the outward water pressure, the 'bow' stress without a support tying the tops of the front and back sheets together has got to be enormous.

melonie said:
I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that the 'bow' stress on the front and back glass sheets can become a MAJOR issue if the length of the sheets starts getting up there. The major function of the top frame on a 'long' aquarium (i.e. 4 ft or longer) is to relieve the 'bow' stress on the glass by tying the tops of the front and back glass sheets together to prevent bowing. Even if the glue used to secure the front and back glass sheets to the end glass sheets is strong enough to stand the outward water pressure, the 'bow' stress without a support tying the tops of the front and back sheets together has got to be enormous.

in the all glass aquariums the top frame is made of glass.. thats what I was trying to say.. GARF.org has instructions on how to build all glass aquariums (with now plastic trim)... and all of the bow stress is on the bottom glass.. the bottom glass is elevated... and it is not advised to buid a aquarium longer then 8 feet.. yes, this sounds redicululas but the glass gets really thick(including the glass that is used for the top frame(wich is designed to be bonded on the opposite edges compared to the tank for added streagth)..

I've been working like a dog lately so no I have not yet found the information I require. I am still looking into it and I'm not done with this thread yet. I've just been really tied up with work. My fish are jealous :lol:

Joe

Okay, so I looked up the g.a.r.f. instructions about how to build this tank. It will be around 126 gallons, 5 feet long, 2 feet tall and 2 feet deep. The g.a.r.f. instructions are pretyy straight forward except I do not understand the 'bracing' aspects of these instructions what-so-ever. Would anyone care to elaborate them for me a bit? I would apreciate it. Here is what I DO NOT understand:

(taken from the cut list)
Top Front/Back brace = 49 1/4 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 23 1/4 " x 2"

-Is that telling me I need two 49" strips of glass? Same question about the 23" pieces.

Then there is this:

"After the silicone has cured, it is time to add the glass to the top. This piece of glass makes the sides stronger so the glass does not bow when the tank is filled."

Where the heck do the braces go exactly? Sorry if this is a lame question. Thanks in advance for any help.

One last quick question, do aquariums NEED plastic bracing around all exposed cornors and edges? I'm sure you know what I mean, the bracing that forms a 90 degree angle and is usually precut and all one -rectangular- piece. That's the way it is on my current 20 gallon tank.

Special thanks from Bruce and Niles, my Iridescents -as this will be their new home.

Joe

The glass pieces are all siliconed and the long pieces go across the back and front of the tanks top and the short pieces go on the right and left... I would have expected another strip for the center though, did you understand that one and not included it or was it not on the cut-list?

I dont think questions are lame.. heck my brain fizzes out sometimes and I cant make heads or tales out of the most simple things every once in a while.. I think it happens to the best of us sometimes.. LOL

So in other words those lengths of glass would look like 'trim' around the top of the aquarium? There was no centre peice mentioned.

Joe

The lengths of glass actually look more like the beginnings of a installed lid with a smaller opening to the top of the tank..
I went to garf.org and your right there is no center brace.. but the sides and front and back braces are big they are 2" wide.. the braces do go on top of the aquarium laying flat to form the brace.. it is like a big clear trim in 4 pieces HTH

Neat, that bracing would also be useful for designing a canopy for :) I still think a center brace would be needed.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Joe

I have a custom built older tank. From my understanding from a little research the tank was typical of German consturction during the time period. I did find out that my tank was built by a father/son duo from Germany. They approached the center bracing and resulting bowing issues in the following manner.

img_465823_0_ed30787e6e166f63df74a6a246eca63a.jpg

Nice tank Lepomis..
If it were me I would most likely put the center brace front to back just under the front and back braces.. Or from edge to edge of the front and back tank braces.
I personally like the first idea better but the second option would look nicer..
that and if I had my choice and was building a tank from scratch I would build a tank with greater surface area than normal tanks.. like making it 24 to 36 inches wide :p

Back
Top Bottom