Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
Regarding building an all glass 100 gallon aquarium

I want to buy a 100gallon+ aquarium but there are no retailers in my area who stock them. The closest would be a five hour commute which is out of the question. Today I called a local "glass smith", I'm not sure what they are actually called, and the person with whom I spoke said they could build the aquarium but not the frame. I told them I would find a frame suitable for this application and get back to them. That said, does any one know a good resource for purchasing aquarium frames? I would prefer one made from all steele with good bracing. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
see if you cant find All-Glass's support number.. its probibly on there website.. and ask for replacement frames for the size tank you want to build.. someone in DIY was talking about how they ordered a top replacement frame for a 55 for like $15 so they dont sound too expensive..

Old 07-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could you elborate a bit please? Maybe give me a link or something to work with?

Thanks a biliion!

Joe
Old 07-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could e-mail them and ask about the replacement trim parts.. info@all-glass.com

Building the tank to there size specs would be nessisary.. you might want to order the trim first to make sure that your building the tank to fit them.. the size tanks they make are at this link..
http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html
HTH

P.S.
be carefull to note at the bottom of the page...
* Exact outside dimensions including aquarium frame.

This should be possible with a different aquarium brand.. like Oceanic!
there e-mail is customerservice@oceanicsystems.com
the only problem I see with that is Oceanic uses the next bigest thickness in glass then what is nessasary.. Im not sure you would want the extra expence..
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Just to add, steel is not necessary as bracing for an aquarium. The silicone used to glue the tank together, is more than adequate to hold it together. However, I find it odd that no retailer will order a tank of the size you want. It is usually cheaper to buy a prebuilt tank with warranty, than to buy the glass and do it yourself, or have it custom built. I have built a number of tanks, but only because the glass was free.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I live on Cape Breton Island. There is ONE pet store that doesn't stock any aquarium equipment and 2 WalMarts so I am pretty much ***edited***. I'll have to have the beast custom made.

Joe
Old 07-06-2005, 05:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

AquaJoe......
Did you have any luck getting ahold of a aquarium maker to order some trim?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

By the way you can build a tank without the plastic trim.. you can use strips of glass for the top to support the sides.. have you checked out the GARF instructions in the DIY section?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that the 'bow' stress on the front and back glass sheets can become a MAJOR issue if the length of the sheets starts getting up there. The major function of the top frame on a 'long' aquarium (i.e. 4 ft or longer) is to relieve the 'bow' stress on the glass by tying the tops of the front and back glass sheets together to prevent bowing. Even if the glue used to secure the front and back glass sheets to the end glass sheets is strong enough to stand the outward water pressure, the 'bow' stress without a support tying the tops of the front and back sheets together has got to be enormous.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonie
I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that the 'bow' stress on the front and back glass sheets can become a MAJOR issue if the length of the sheets starts getting up there. The major function of the top frame on a 'long' aquarium (i.e. 4 ft or longer) is to relieve the 'bow' stress on the glass by tying the tops of the front and back glass sheets together to prevent bowing. Even if the glue used to secure the front and back glass sheets to the end glass sheets is strong enough to stand the outward water pressure, the 'bow' stress without a support tying the tops of the front and back sheets together has got to be enormous.
in the all glass aquariums the top frame is made of glass.. thats what I was trying to say.. GARF.org has instructions on how to build all glass aquariums (with now plastic trim)... and all of the bow stress is on the bottom glass.. the bottom glass is elevated... and it is not advised to buid a aquarium longer then 8 feet.. yes, this sounds redicululas but the glass gets really thick(including the glass that is used for the top frame(wich is designed to be bonded on the opposite edges compared to the tank for added streagth)..

Tags
build, building, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com