Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

regulating my ph levels

Hey!
i know i've made a thread about this but i've learned more about "ph" levels and how important it is.I checked my ph level of my tap water today because i was advised to by someone on here, and by my brother and by two of my local " pets unlimited" people.and my tap water is the same as the water in my tank right now..(6.0) it changes the same color.. so im assuming they're the same.. i just took some from my tap in the kitchen in a little container and tested it from that.. I went in to my local pet store today and asked them about how to use the ph regulator and etc and they let me know that i could get this that or the other thing but i could just do some water changes.. i didn't ask him how many but i was then told by a different person that it would be too stressful ( on the fish ) to do that many water changes to bring the ph level to 7.0 and im totally lost now i dont know what to do im thinking about getting that ph regulator which in the first place,is what i was going to get and i was told it might be too stressful for the fish! also i've been told that 6.0 is " alright ".. take a look at my profile i have pics of all of my fish on here plus my tank. just to get an idea of my babies!
any advice is appreciated. thanks so much.

NatalieFish!
STILL a

Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your fish are OK, I would not mess with the ph level. Fish will do fine in a ph of 6. If you really want to raise the ph of the water you can use crushed coral. This can be done several different ways, you can mix a little crushed coral in with your substrate, put some in a media bag inside of your tank, or put some in a media bag inside of your filter.

To reiterate, you don't really need to, your fish have most likely already adapted to a ph of 6. At my old residence my water was at least 6 and I had a wide variety of fish that thrived in it.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

if my fish are ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueiz View Post
If your fish are OK, I would not mess with the ph level. Fish will do fine in a ph of 6. If you really want to raise the ph of the water you can use crushed coral. This can be done several different ways, you can mix a little crushed coral in with your substrate, put some in a media bag inside of your tank, or put some in a media bag inside of your filter.

To reiterate, you don't really need to, your fish have most likely already adapted to a ph of 6. At my old residence my water was at least 6 and I had a wide variety of fish that thrived in it.

Good luck!
Wow. thanks so much that made me feel very comfortable! alright.. okay haha, ill sit on that, i feel comfortable on that.. i've been told that if the fish "Seem " okay than they most likely are.. but your reply made me feel even better. i think i still have to do a water change though i have prepared some water and i intend on doing some syphoning tomorrow.. so you think that 6.0 is fine? i only really have two gold fish adn two white.. um, i.. don't know what they are.. and a pleco and a louch..

thanks SO MUCH for reassuring me!!!!!!!!!! Im so greatful!

Tags
level, ph level, ph levels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com