Remove overflow box on Oceanic Reef Ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

Quick question... I am thinking of removing the overflow box from my Oceanic 58 gallon. I really don't like the room it takes away from my tank.

I would just plumb in a drain PVC pipe and return PVC (DIY style) spary bar pipe (thinking Grey schedule 80/40 stuff) where the bulkheads sit now.

Anyone see any issue with doing this? TIA!

If its a glass tank.. sure it could be done..
Problem is.. it might still be under warrantee, you might want to contact them about how that would effect it.. (most have a very long warrantee period actually, compared to cheaper tanks)

Thanks for the response.

It is indeed under warranty, for the next 4 years! Oceanic has a great warranty. I'm not too worried about voiding this... tanks are faily cheap compared to the stands/equipment/livestock.

Just wanted to know if there were any known issues by removing it.

Thank you

I've never been a big fan of the top to bottom overflows myself. Check your concerns on warantee, as the mage suggested.

If you're going to go through with it I would probably do much the same as you described, except I might keep the top 5 or 6 inches of the overflow that i'm removing, and attach a bottom piece of PVC, make a bulkhead to attach the pvc to the bottom and still use it as my overflow... if I could do it and make it look decent.

Took me a minute, but I figured out what you were saying about the overflow. Interesting idea, though I know I don't have the skills to fabricate something like this.

I presonally don't see any issue in removing it, besides the warranty, which I will check on today.

I plan to hide the 3/4" PCV pipes which will become the drain and return as well. Thinking I can create a tall formation of rock to accomplish this.

Thanks for the continued advice!

Back
Top Bottom