Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Remove the carbon from my UGF?

read that the carbon cartridges on ugf's are inadequate and possibly dangerous(saturation issues). i have a ugf with a tetra whisper 20i air pump. i know i should switch to a powerhead but budgets tight. also have an aqua-tech 5-15 hob. should i take the carbon off of the ugf? i'm cycling with fish and doing 25-45% pwcs daily.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't worry about it. Leaving the carbon underneath isn't going to hurt. Carbon cannot release sequestered waste in normal tank conditions.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank? The aqua-tech filter is suitable for a 5 gallon tank but I wouldn't use it on anything larger. In any case, carbon isn't necessary for normal maintenance. It is useful for removing meds from the water after treating for something, or for clearing up tannins released from driftwood.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

its a twenty gallon fresh water. i put the smaller hob on it to increase mechanical filtration while it cycles. got some bad lfs advice(go figure!), overstocked, dealing with the cycling with fish drama, and thought it'd be okay to add the smaller hob till i can get a poerhead for the ugf. thanks for the replies!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I'd hook up an aquaclear 50 to the uplift tube of the UG filter. That would prevent debris from collecting under the plate, and trap it in the sponges (stack 2 or 3) to be cleaned out with partial water changes. I've used a similar arrangement on a 38 and a 75 with AC 70 and 110 hob filters, and it works very well.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

aquaclear 50? is that a powerhead or airpump or something? i'm a complete neophyte to all the equipment involved in aquarium keeping but i'm trying to learn as quickly and thoroughly as possible. already lost two dwarf gouramis and am determined to do what it takes to prevent that from happening again.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

An aquaclear 50 is a mid-size hob filter. Max flow rate is 200 gph, adjustable down to about half that much. Just google aquaclear 50 to check it out. You might be able to find a good deal on a used filter on e-bay.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

in addition to the ugf?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use the aquaclear to draw water through the substrate, and collect the debris in the sponge blocks for easier cleaning. Better than a powerhead or an air-driven UGF that way.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i'll check into that. dumb question but can i have too much filtration? i understand about different flowrates vs. different fish (sorta) but can you actually filter the water to a degree its harmful or has a negative effect on its chemistry?

Tags
carbon, ugf

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com