Removing Aqua Clear 110 Motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Disco Duke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently own an Aqua Clear 110 HOB Power Filter. Last week I looked into my fish tank prior to going to sleep and noticed some fish at top when they're usually at bottom and the lights were out. I saw no water moving and turned on light and noticed the motor wasn't working. Luckily, I had a spare filter in my garage because all of the pet stores were closed and my fish would've died during the night. I owned my filter for at least one year but never cleaned the motor because I can't disconnect it. My question is how to disconnect the motor from my filter? :fish2:

Hagen Filters

I currently own an Aqua Clear 110 HOB Power Filter. Last week I looked into my fish tank prior to going to sleep and noticed some fish at top when they're usually at bottom and the lights were out. I saw no water moving and turned on light and noticed the motor wasn't working. Luckily, I had a spare filter in my garage because all of the pet stores were closed and my fish would've died during the night. I owned my filter for at least one year but never cleaned the motor because I can't disconnect it. My question is how to disconnect the motor from my filter? :fish2:

Hello Dis...

The filter motor can be removed by turning it clockwise, to the left. Remove the impeller, the small propeller piece by pulling it straight up. Use a toothbrush or small bottle brush and scrub it well. You'll need the bottle brush to clean inside the motor and around the small silver pin that holds the impeller in place. The motor likely got clogged with plant debris and stopped.

Replace the impeller and screw the motor back into place. It wouldn't hurt to rinse the plastic filter housing too and the "J" shaped water tube. Put the filter back onto the tank and fill it with some of the water you use to perform a water change. Plug the filter back in and it should work. It needs to be cleaned a couple of times a month at least.

B

How to Remove Aqua Clear 110 HOB Power Filter Motor?

Thanks BBradbury,

I tried turning the motor left, right, and even straight down by pulling on it. It never budged. It must be really stuck so I'll add more oomph while turning it clockwise to the left. Hmmm, for some reason, I thought clock wise was right and counter clock wise was left. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again. I'll let you know if I have any luck. :thanks:

Hagen Filter

Thanks BBradbury,

I tried turning the motor left, right, and even straight down by pulling on it. It never budged. It must be really stuck so I'll add more oomph while turning it clockwise to the left. Hmmm, for some reason, I thought clock wise was right and counter clock wise was left. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again. I'll let you know if I have any luck. :thanks:

Hello again Dis...

If you're holding the filter with the front facing you, the motor is on the left. The black motor needs to be turned to the left, to be removed. If it's stuck, then remove the water tube and the filter basket with the media and run some warm water over the area where the motor attaches to the plastic filter housing. That should loosen the motor.

B

How to Remove Aqua Clear 110 HOB Power Filter Motor?

Hi BBradbury,

I finally had success and would like to thank you. After I ran warm water over the motor and where it connects to the filter, I turned it to the left as you stated but it didn't move. I did recall you saying turn it clockwise and I mentioned earlier that I thought clockwise was to the right. At any rate, since nothing happened when I turned it to the left, I turned it to the right anyway. It then began to move slowly. Mind you that I had it for at least a year and never removed it for cleaning previously because I couldn't disconnect it. After I cleaned it and the impeller with my cleaning brush and put water in filter again, the motor came on. Now I know how to remove it in future for cleaning. Instructions advised to clean it every three months. What do you think? Every three months or monthly when I do water changes. In fact, I think I'll do future water changes every three weeks in future. I also decided to run two filters so if one stop working while I'm on a short vacation, I won't have major fish loss upon returning. Thanks again and you made my day. :thanks::thanks:(y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom