Removing Clorox from Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After noticing that my purigen was dark brown, I have decided to "recharge" it for the first time. I googled and saw that people have used Clorox to recharge purigen.

I bought a bottle of concentrated Clorox and soaked my purigen in it, though my purigen is whiter that I can remember, how do I remove the Oder and the harmful chemicals that may be in it?

I have soaked it in a quart with one or two capful of Prime for a few days (replaced the water a few times and redosed with prime). Yet it still smell a bit like Clorox, any recommendations?

I believe the directions say soak in one cup of water and two tablespoons of prime. I rinse mine under the tap afterwards.

So even with the slight smell it should be ok?
Try putting it in a sieve and leave it running under the tap, warm water, for 5-10 mins. If it still smells, repeat the Prime/Water bath. Maybe the bleach you used was too strong. I use cheap supermarket bleach, no issues.

I notice mine has a funky smell ( not bleach smell )the longer it soaks in water, this is after the prime/water bath. I rinse under the tap and use. No problems doing this.

I too have recharged purigen many times with bleach. I usually let it soak for a day or two in a highly concentrated prime bath, and then rinse for several minutes. It has never caused me any issues. The prime should neutralize the chlorine in the bleach.

Mine still smells after soaking it and no problems

Yeah, I get a smell too - I wouldn't necessarily say it smells like bleach, but there is an odor. Lotsa prime will do the trick though and make it safe.

Back
Top Bottom