Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Removing UGF in favor of a canister

Hi! I saw some other posts about removing a UGF, I decided that would be best for me to do but I was not clear on one point - during the process of converting to the canister do I leave the UGF running at the same time until the canister has an opportunity to build up a new bacteria bed? Or will the bacteria in the gravel be sufficient without the UGF running? FWIW, My UGF does not have a power head on it.
Thanks!
Mark

Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In this situation, run the canister filter in conjunction with the ugf. After about 3 or 4 weeks, completly remove the ugf. You should have enough bacteria built up in the canister to avoid a cycle or even a mini-cycle. But test your water parameters for the first few days to make sure a cycle does not occur.

HTH and WELCOME TO AA!

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly as fishyfinatic says. When I disconnected mine I merely removed the uplift tubes and left the plate under the gravel. Some might disagree with that but as long as water and detritus aren't being forced through the plate, I don't see any problem and haven't encountered one.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
I was thinking if he hooked up the canister filter, let it run a few days and removed the UGF that it would stir up enough crud in the tank that the canister would pick up, he wouldn't have to worry about a mini cycle

Thats just my thoughts on it, tho

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I'd run them together for a while, shouldn't hurt anything, and it seems the safest solution.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Running them together would be best. I'd have to agree that when you remove it the crud that gets stirred up will be a lot and will also help with the cycle. Or rather the avoidance of a cycle.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone! My fish are doing fantastic and i dont want to mess that up by making a mistake. I will run them concurrently for a few weeks then pull the tubes from the UGF. I will eventually remove the plates because I cant see any benefit to leaving them. Baby steps!
Thanks again. Great forum!!
Mark
Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everyone's done a good job advising you, definitely run them concurrently for a few days. I just wanted to add 1 thing.
Pull the plates at the same time as the tubes, trust me. I tried it the other way, like you had planned. All you will do if you leave the plates in is create more of a mess. The crud under the ugf will just continue to muck up your tank worse. Pull the tubes and one side of the ugf all at once. Then wait a few hours for everything to settle and pull the other side. I had two 10's w/ ugf's and I pulled the plates on one and it was messy but not too bad. I ran out of time and only pulled the tubes on the other one. Then due to just sheer forgetfullness and laziness those ugf's sat there for a few months, by the time I pulled them it was a royal mess and just terrible for the fish, so bad in fact that I transferred them to another tank overnight. Best to do it all at once.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well, I finally got the chance to remove the UGF - canister and UGF ran at the same time for about a month. I was very surprised by 2 things - 1, it was VERY easy to remove the UGF and 2. There was very little muck under the UGF. Actually, almost none! Which tells me I did a decent job cleaning/vacuuming it I guess.
I will tell you this, my water has NEVER been cleaner!! It looks crystal clear now. Actually, I am seeing lots of imperfections in my glass now. Sheesh!!
Anyway, thanks a million to everyone who helped on this. My fishies are happier now I am sure
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
LOL clear water has it's downsides I suppose but overall it is worth it. Congratulations on your successful UGF removal.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, ugf

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com