Remving painted background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm starting the rehab on a 55g setup I picked up last week and the background is painted a bright blue. I want to remove it so the tank gets more inquiries when I sell it.

It has some scraches missing of paint already but I'm hesitant to take a razor to it as I don't want to scratch it.

Not sure if it's latex or oil based. :-(

Would paint thinner or paint remover work? Would it damage anything like the glass or leech through?

Thanks for any input!

This is what I found when I was trying to remove scratches from my tank.

My father in law has a mechanic shop, so the high grit and tools were readily available.

A razor blade wont scratch the glass. I would not use paint remover. Just keep changing the blades and use a holder for the blade. You can get those at Lowes or Home Depot. I believe auto parts places carry them also. If anything you can dip the blade in a little soapy water to make it glide across the glass. That's how windows are cleaned aboard ships when they get overspray from paint on them. I have had the pleasure of doing that many times. That's how I do it. Paint remover is nasty stuff that will burn your nose and skin. Stay away from that stuff. It could even etch the glass.

A razor blade wont scratch the glass. I would not use paint remover. Just keep changing the blades and use a holder for the blade. You can get those at Lowes or Home Depot. I believe auto parts places carry them also. If anything you can dip the blade in a little soapy water to make it glide across the glass. That's how windows are cleaned aboard ships when they get overspray from paint on them. I have had the pleasure of doing that many times. That's how I do it. Paint remover is nasty stuff that will burn your nose and skin. Stay away from that stuff. It could even etch the glass.

She said she would want to sell it, so cleaning up up wanted scratches is a bump on the resell value.

Yeah, this is my first attempt at flipping a tank so I want it to be as resellable as possible. I'm trying to sell a 10g setup and its painted and everyone who responds doesnt want the painted background. lol

So I figured I;d take off the paint and make it a nice new looking tank. It's scratch free on the front and in great shape it's just the blue background I think will give me problems.

carey said:
So I'm starting the rehab on a 55g setup I picked up last week and the background is painted a bright blue. I want to remove it so the tank gets more inquiries when I sell it.

It has some scraches missing of paint already but I'm hesitant to take a razor to it as I don't want to scratch it.

Not sure if it's latex or oil based. :-(

Would paint thinner or paint remover work? Would it damage anything like the glass or leech through?

Thanks for any input!

1200 grit wet dry sandpaper will get out scratches. There is a post on here giving directions.

KreativJustin said:
She said she would want to sell it, so cleaning up up wanted scratches is a bump on the resell value.

I didn't read the question like that.

I started in a small corner with a razor on one of those sticks from lowes and it seems to do the trick. Just gotta go real slow so I dont scratch it.

Back
Top Bottom